At what age do you start teaching your child/childen to cook?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 6:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• from day one. start with simple skills, let them play with utensils, talk to them about what you're doing. by age 5 my dd could handle a knife quite nicely, same as I could.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• From when they are old enough to stand up. I put a chair or step-stool next to the kitchen counter and give them a bowl and spoon to play with. Next let them stir something. Cut up fruit with a plastic knife. Just let them progress to stirring. Let them play with the food. You'll find lots of things for them to help with as you go along.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My lil one is 2 1/2, and she helps int h kitchen. She doesn't go near the oven, but she helps me stir up the cake mix, and she gets the right veg out of the rack, she helps me with the numbers, she cuts out the cookie shaps etc...

They're never to young to help. Even as a baby, by having them SAFELY nt he kitchen, it's a welcoming and interesting enviroment, rather than a scary room full of danger.
    Get kids involved, see what they'd like to eat, and get them to help.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my 4 year old loves helping me bake. of course at her age she doesn't handle any sharp utensils or anything on the oven or stove. but she helps with egg-cracking, stirring, pouring, stuff like that. she's very interested in it and i love it! my 2 year old loves to stand and watch and "taste" :). i think they'll be little foodies!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Since they've been old enough to walk they've hung out with me in the kitchen, watching or helping out as age appropriate. My DD is 11 now, and she can make cookies and brownies, as well as simpler meals by herself.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my daughter is 22 months and she always been in the kithcen with me. i always show her what i am doing and she helped me back a cake the other day. i think they are never too young to have fun in the kitchen.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• When they get interested.

Answer by older at 7:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It depended on the child for me. I have 5 so I went based off their interest and ability to help me. Most of the time it is just easier for me to do it on my own. They started helping me with small things like making cookies, making salads, getting utensils out etc when they were between 3 and 5 yrs old. By 8 they could all make their own lunch basically. They could make a sandwich, grab some chips and things like that. By the time by oldest was around 14 she could cook basic things like mac n cheese, burritos, and scrambled eggs. My oldest son actually was the better cook lol. By 13 he was cooking all kinds of things on his own, even making us dinner like chicken, steamed veggies etc. I think it all depends on the child sometimes. Some of them take to it better then others.

Answer by gemgem at 7:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There wasn't a time where I was like "ok, let's all go into the kitchen and learn to cook today" moment. We started with them just being in there, beating on pots and pans with spoons, then hanging out talking to me while I cooked. That sort of evolved into getting this or that out of the pantry or off a shelf or etc. Then it was they were allowed to open this or dump that into the bowl, help mix, let's count how many scoops we need to put in, etc. Over time, they were cooking more and more. Now they're teenagers and both (my ds and my dd) of them are able to cook. My dd likes to do it more than my ds - she does a lot of baking and experimenting and stuff as a hobby, but he's also a pretty good cook, too.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my son has been helping since he was 2. Mixing and pouring things. he loves it
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2011