What has your kid taught you today? To be a better person? Be thankful, what?

I learn something from my child (about) once a week. It reminds me of who I am and where I came from.
My son is 7 every year I ask him who he likes in class or who likes him. Girl wise. He has his crushes and so on but I want him to feel comfortable talking to me. So, anywho, he told me he like this young lady, I'm like ok, cool, what's her name and blah blah blah. He tried to explain what she looked like, however, in the end, he just said she was pretty, Mom.
I visit his class the next day on a scheduled visit. I am sitting there wondering what the girls looks like and if I know her.
I saw a couple girls, but I knew them, but this one girl, sat in the front she had albinism, when the pigments in your skin don't form correctly or something like that, if that's the correct term. We leave the class and he asked if I saw her, the girl he liked, he said, she sat in the front row, with long braids, it was the girl with the albinism. I WAS LIKE WOW! He didn't see a problem or that she was different, he liked her because he thought she was pretty! I asked did anybody else in his class like her, he said no! but I do! I was blown away! I had to give him a hug and tell him how awesome he was! I am so proud of him. I hope he stays that way and doesn't gets poisoned by society and what they call the perfect person. There is none and never will be...

websavvy1

Asked by websavvy1 at 6:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• To be more patient
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• To become an alcoholic - long story.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• to get more sleep

Answer by gemgem at 7:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i shouldnt have had kids......................
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• also agree with cerealmom..................i love self medicating....
    mama2bof2

• that is a nice story. :) I try to be patient. My son didn`t want to hug me this morning, he`s 6. His 8 yo older sister said "Don`t treat Mom like that." He started tearing up. I told him it was ok & he didn`t have to hug me. But before they got on the bus he said he wanted to give me a kiss. So it was ok..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• That is true kindness, no belittling labels, just straight from the heart. !!

Kindness is what I also adhere into my children with patience and it is a 2 way program. I know they are aware of the rules, and it is not a game or question at all! They know respect, so it comes back.

We aren't fools and we teach the children the same. I know things take time, so we learn and will over time patiently raising them not rushing them.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My child teaches me daily that not every one is the same, that we all have a difference in who we are and how we perseive things. he has taught me that loving some one doesnt mean we have to be perfect, we dont have to always obey, be respectful, stop yakking, stop running about, What he has taught me is that love comes from with in no matter what. My child did not talk until 6, wet his pants until 4 pullups still at night at age 10, not completely understanding what is said or meant. Unable to comprehend some of lifes little pleasures. I am thankful for the life I have and the life I lead and for those that are in it with me no matter how often I pull my hair out. My child has multiple disabilities!
    tamik981

Answer by tamik981 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My son teaches me to be humble. I just had a meeting with his teacher and principal (he's 5 in preK) and was told that while he's very smart, he has some special needs and would probably benefit from a therapist and he's not thriving in class. As a parent this was not easy to take...and his teachers were not there to coddle me through it. But we were all there for him, and care very much for him. For this I am thankful (I'm also scared, worried, and so in love with my little guy)...

Oh...and he also helps teach me just how big of an asshole my husband can be (talk about the wrong time for finger pointing)
    spiritedmum

Answer by spiritedmum at 4:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2011