woke up today with an awful earache

seriously this is getting old. i was diagnosed with strep throat on tuesday. yesterday, i could finally handle eating and swallowing with little to no pain. i thought i was finally better. im on zithromax, because im allergic to anything in the "cillin" family, which sucks because i know those are very potent and usually knock the infection right out. but unfortunately i cant take them because i break out in a horrible rash. anyway, this morning i have a horrid earache in my right ear, and only when i swallow. the right tonsil was giving me the most pain when the strep was at it's worst, so im thinking the infection may have traveled a bit into my ear.

what should i do? im already on antibiotics. is this something that will likely clear up in a day, as i still have two more days of antibiotics left? or will i need to go back and get something more powerful? this sucks :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Health

• Sometimes earaches are not associated with ear infections. It could just be due to congestion, especially if it only hurts when you swallow. Since you are already on antibiotics I would say you are covered, but it wouldn't hurt to make a call to the Dr and ask. Hope you feel better soon:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Glad to hear it:) Nothing worse than an earache, so painful.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thank you :) it may have also been the way i slept. i woke up this morning on my back, therefore the yuckyness could've drained into my ear. as time goes by this morning the pain is lessening!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011