Not sure where to put this question. Relationships? Religion? Give me your opinion please about this bumper sticker I saw yesterday.

I'll give you some background. The car an import with an Obama 08 sticker on it along with some peace type stickers. Parked in the employee section of the school parking lot. The interior filthy dirty and filled with lots of stuff just everywhere. The bumper sticker read: I'm already Against The NEXT War!

How can anyone already be against the next war? I can't imagine what the US would have been if we had opted out of all our previous wars. Anyway, any thoughts are greatly appreciated today.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• people think being a pacifit is some kind of moral stand.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• While I respect that this is their opinion, and while I agree that war is NOT something to be desired, when I hear things like this, this quote comes to mind..

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Id think that person did not like using their critical thinking skills and was dumb. The reason I say that is because each situation is individual and we dont know what might lead to the next war. For all we know (God forbid) we could be nuked or invaded and have dead people laying in our streets. I am pretty sure there would be very few against a war that came about because of something like that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Things wouldn't be the way they are now if people hadn't put their lives on the line for us. It amazes me how some people can be against something, yet really know nothing about it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds like the person has little to know concept of politics and foreign relations.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I had a lady tell me one day "If you voted for Bush that yellow ribbon for your husband doesn't make up for it." Just out of the blue in the Kroger's parking lot. That statement makes about as much sense to me as the one you stated. I bet the owner doesn't think twice about what having our military out there really means to the comfort and peace of mind their family enjoys day in and day out. Blissful ignorance at it's best!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• For as another quote goes, evil flourishes when good men do nothing.

My dh was serving, supporting the UN embargo on Iraq. He saw, first hand, the so called "supplies" that were being taken into the country - the weapons, food, and porn (a surprising amount of porn, btw, given the Muslim views on it and the restrictions on it in Middle Eastern countries). The food was all too often rotting, maggoty, etc. The "medical supplies" were rarely that.

He also served, a few yrs later, on the ground in Iraq. He was there when they were whacking peoples heads off in Fallujah. It was violent and horrible, yet the people there had hope - hope they didn't have before the war. There were many times he had Iraqi people come up and want to pose for pictures with him, thanking him, etc.

Yes, there have been a lot of horrible things that have happened there, and yes, we have made mistakes there - some colossally and tragically.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war.

Nice sentiment but how many complete groups of people through the ages would have been wiped out by sticking their head in the sand and not fighting back.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• And by the way, I'm saying this as a Veteran (I served during the first Gulf War, but I didn't serve in the Middle East), married to a man who is still serving (he's over 20 yrs of Active Duty, and he has served in a combat zone multiple times- on ships and on land. I also have a brother who is serving and is currently deployed, and an 18 yr old son who has opted to not go to college - he wants to enlist and will be meeting with the recruiter this month (he graduates this year).

I know, first hand, the cost of war - in my family and in my friends lives, so yes, when I share that quote, I have "put up or shut up" so to speak.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• basically saying if you vote republican that there will be another war??? idk.."don't vote another bush"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2011