Fork and Spoon...

My son is 20 months old and just started using a fork, barely...he will stab a couple things and then throw it in the floor. He knows what a spoon is used for but wont use one himself. When do they usually start using a fork and spoon all the time? I am tired of him throwing his food in the floor.

etanert

Asked by etanert at 8:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't remember exactly when my daughter did but ive been giving her a spoon with her food ever since she ate solids. They don't stop throwing their food till at least 2 1/2.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My DD is just turned 3 and still needs a reminder at least once a meal. I would say in my experience by about 2-2.5 they get to be closer to 50% and then it gets better pretty quickly after that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My kids are almost 5 and 3 and I still have to remind them not to throw food occasionaly but i think it gets better around 2 1/2 to 3.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• That depends on the child, how often you allow them to use a utensile, and what examples they have to learn from.
    My son is two years old and started using a fork when he was 1.5. He used it successfully from the very beginning, but now he uses it as a banging tool. He doesn't get to use a spoon very often, but does know how to use that. He just has trouble using it properly, since he tends to turn over his utensile when putting it in his mouth.

As for throwing food on the floor ... My son STILL does that, though not as often as he used to. It is super annoying and frustrating. It's just a matter of keeping on them and ending the meal if they disobey the order to stop throwing food.

When he's using a fork/spoon having something to eat as well. Using your utensile right beside him. Lead by example and he's more likely to use it properly if mommy is.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• DD is 22 months old and just got the hang of it. It took lots of practice though!
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son now 12 had issues till he was like 3. He still eats funny with a spoon. My daughter is 19 months and has perfected eating with both a spoon and a fork. But I gave them to her young and I didnt with him. It just takes time and practice...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011