The Destroyer.....!!!

My 20 month old son destroys everything! He throws is toys at everyone and everywhere. He will hit the dog for no reason and laugh about it. He will move his bed in his room, tip over the rocking chair, take out the night lights and tear his room up whenever he goes to take a nap or bed. He also will pile things up at the door to try and open it and get out. Is this just a phase or is my son a little monster?

etanert

Asked by etanert at 8:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine was the same way!!!
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Its a phase lol. I have 3 boys and of them 2 were destroyers. It was so bad too because those two were only 15 months apart so it was like a double dose of destruction. Thankfully they pretty much grew out of it. Both of them are still pranksters and one of them is moody, but other then that they dont go around destroying stuff anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I really hope this is just part of the "terrible two's" phase....he is awful!!
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is not a phase, but it is an indication that you need to set some boundaries and then enforce them. It is also called discipline. The earlier you start teaching him that he cannot destroy property or abuse animals, the better adjusted he will become. You cannot expect him to just know these things--you have to teach them to him, and the sooner you get started, the better off you both will be. If you need more help, get yourself a copy of BOUNDARIES FOR CHILDREN by Drs. John Townsend and Henry Cloud.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• @ Nanny B He knows he's not supposed to do those things. When he hits the dog I smack his hand and tell him no. When he throws his toys, I look him in the eyes and tell him no throwing. When he takes the nighlight out I take him to the nightlight and tell him no. I set boundaries and I do discipline him but he still does it anyway
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Probably just a phase...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would say phase, some kids do terrible 2's, mine did terrible 3's! It will pass, just make sure he knows that he shouldn't be doing it!
    foxy420_1

Answer by foxy420_1 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 8, 2011