Unemployment rate at 9.4% What do you think?

Growth in the economy, a good sign?

Justmom223

Asked by Justmom223 at 8:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Since this data was for December, I wonder how many "jobs" are now gone? Around here, there were a lot of retailers hiring people for December through mid-January. I won't get excited about a decrease in unemployment unless February's numbers are the same or lower..
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Looks good doesn't it.. Not so if you look further. There were only 103, 000 new jobs in December ,far off the 150,000 they were expecting. Funny how the facts don't jive with the numbers we are hearing. They said hiring was up in December and sales were higher. Well it's obvious why there was a bump (holiday hiring and purchases) but not the bump they are touting.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think that's the new "baseline" that we'll be using from here on out!! Unemployment at or below 5%?! In your dreams!! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Show me new jobs in the manufacturing sector and I'll get optimistic....until then I won't.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know but I have read several articles with somewhat positive predictions for some job growth in 2011. NOt enough to met demand but the most growth we have seen in 3 years. Sounds encouraging but it is just a prediction...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Employment goes up during the upcoming holidays season.

It's a good sign if numbers keep going down in the next few months.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• hopefully it keeps going in this direction!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 9:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's a big step but we all know a group of "ladies" here can not and will not admit anything that happens under Obama is a good thing.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Agree with the Need for a long term upswing in manufacturing hiring..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The unemployment rate here in MN is currently 7.1 % ....but there is more hiring here and elsewhere. It looks like there is a teeny upswing and more reason to be optimistc. Of course, we can TRY to be optimistic. Unless you like to wallow in negativity and dreary rhetoric.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011