Anyone work at a school other than teaching?

Does the administrative staff have summers off too? What is the pay scale like?

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm an HR Director for a private special ed school in CT.
    Our school is open year-round, we have a very popular summer program & summers are actually busier for us than the regular school year. Our cert. teachers are the only ones on a 10 mnth schedule, if they choose to work summers they receive additional pay, & if not we hire temp teachers. The rest of us work year round & we typically hire an additional 25 - 30 temp special ed paras for summer. We do close for 2 weeks in June & 2 weeks at x-mas & FT employees are paid for these vacations & after 1 year of service we also get 1 additional paid vacation wk in choice of Feb or April. We also get 96 hrs of sick/personal time & are paid for snow days & delays w/out using accrued personal leave . Depending on education level & experience our special ed paras earn on avg $15/hr. Our admins & execs (myself included) obviously earn more than our paras.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mother is an aide and she has most the days off that the kids do. There are still Act 80 or in service days that the teachers have to go to and so does she. I think like the secretaries and what not work mostly year round though. This is likely something that is going to vary based on the schools.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I used to be an Office Assistant. I LOVED it. I quit my job once I had my Son in 2007. I used to make a little over $14 an hour. I worked 28.75 hours a week, and was off when the students were. I didn't work during the Summer, unless I chose to work Summer School. I now work from home and I love it! I have the best of both worlds!

Best Wishes to you!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011