Is it safe to drink coffee right before you workout?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Health

• I do it & never even thought about it. I drink coffee int he morning, get ready & then go work out. I think if you have heart trouble, you might not want to. But, i think it's OK for the everage healthy person.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would think it would be dehydrating with all the caffeine....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do this often and read a study about it in the past year or so, that actually for many people, the caffeine gives them a "kick" that helps them really exercise harder. Of course, you do need to keep hydrated and don't want to overdo it... and yes, if you have iffy heart issues, I'd watch it- but for many people, a little caffeine right before exercise can be a good thing.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thank you for asking this question I have always wondered myself...So basically depends on the persons heart health...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it also depends on how much coffee you drink!! my mom drinks 11 cups a day and I think that is horrible she has finally cut down to 6 cups a day which im trying to get her to 2!!! One cup of coffee should not be that big of deal!!! I'm glad their are some coffee lovers out there!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 9:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know - never thought about it. I do it sometimes, and I know a lot of mamas who do it regularly, before running in the morning, and even before races. Good question!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have also read that it can actually help you work out. I never get to work out until night time after my daughter is in bed, but if I got to work out right after my coffee.....I think that would be awesome! It would set the tone for my whole day.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011