WHAT do I do with this cat!?

He is 4 years old and we have had him for a few years. He has recently started kicking my other two older (9yr old) cats butts. THis week I have had to take BOTH older cats to the vet to be treated one had surgery to repair an abscess. I have looked into shelters but they are all full. I have posted listing to try and find him a home with no response... There is only one option left that I know of but I can't abandon him at the pound or euthanize. He is a GOOD cat. He just needs to be an only cat or be with younger cats like him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pets

• You stated that he has recently started doing this. that is why I suggested having him checked out by a vet. I had a cat that was the most laid back cat who started beating up all of my other pets be them cats or dogs it turned out he had hyperthyroidism which caused the change in his behavior. While this is normally seen in older cats it can happen in young cats occationally as well. My cat was not and "asshole" either. I also have a cat now that is 3 years old and thinks he is pretty bad ass and loves to pick on my older cat. Part of the reason he did this was because Izzy has had some health issues and he was trying to assert his domanance. Now that she is healthy again he has backed off. Medication can help with behavior like this so can the comfort zone with feliway plug in.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Have you had the 4 year old checkd out by the vet? There are medical conditions that can cause cats to become aggressive. Have you tried medication or any other behavioral modifications?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Keep him seperated if you can or try to train him...idk
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• As someone else mentioned, having him checked by your vet to rule out any physical problems is the best route to start. I've been a vet tech for 18 years, so I'm not just saying that. Also, if he has front claws, you may think about having him declawed in the front (but hurry because the pain and recovery takes longer as they get older) or something called "soft paws" which are caps that fit over the nails. If it is biting, try using a squirt bottle and squirt him with water every time he goes after the other cats. I assume he is neutered. If you're simply at your wits end, maybe try an ad in the local paper but mention single cat home preferred. I wish you luck. Hang in there!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If you absolutely have to give him up, try searching for cat/animal rescues. Lots of them will help place a cat that needs special living conditions. Until then, keep him separated from your other cats. It could be a phase... cats seem to go through them just like people.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 9:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Look into the ASPCA, animal rescue shelters that aren't "The Pound" or "Kill Shelters". Even if they're in another county or state.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh man that is hard. I'm sorry. I would just say try to keep him separated and keep looking for a home for him. It sounds like you might just have to be persistent. Good luck.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• He's not being an asshole. He is being a young cat who wants to play. It starts as a game and then he keeps going even after the others are done. Then the others turn the game into a fight even though they LOOSE every time. He's not being bad. He's being annoying to the older cats.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Have you tryed a spray bottle with h20 whenever he dos this, my baby cats repond pretty good to this.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Keep them separated. Talk to your vet and/or a behaviorist. They can figure out the issues and prescribe medications that can make transition/training go better.

Good for you for not giving up too soon on your kitty!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2011