What do I do when...

my 5-year old has a "girlfriend" that calls him "sexy" in school? I contemplated writing a letter to the principle, asst.priciple, and the friggin teacher, but what the heck would I say? Hi, crazy mom wants you to seperate "girlfriend" and my precious son? YA OKAY! that will not get me far!

AmFam5

Asked by AmFam5 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest has gone through a few girlfriends, starting in kindergarten. It's not really a big deal. Nothing serious that's for sure. So long as he's still hanging out with his guy friends, and not engaging in inappropriate behaviors it's just a game that kids play. None of them have lasted for more than a couple weeks.

I strongly doubt she knows what sexy is other than daddy has probably called mama that, and mom seemed to like it. Emulating a parents relationship - especially if mom and dad are close, or an affectionate couple doesn't make for red flags. With girlfriends my son will sit next to them at lunch, carry their backpack or open doors. (he's 8... this started at 6)

I would be clear with your son that the school says that there are no girlfriends or boyfriends allowed, to keep it to a minimum and wait for it to run its course.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Are you serious? OMG some upbringing that kid has, huh? Yes, I would talk to the teacher about it. See if she's anything going on. Thats just wrong on all accounts.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• At first I laughed at your question (mostly at the crazy mom part) and then wondered what kind of life is that little girl exposed to that she correctly uses the term sexy and wants to be a girlfriend???
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm a teacher and I recommend you talk to the teacher. See if can keep them separated or talk to the little girl about not using the term sexy. I would understand if a parent came to me asking.  Going straight to principal makes it seem like you don't trust the teacher, try her first.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Hmm I got a problem like that... but the problem is my niece... coming home from school telling us how she kissed her "boyfriend" and im like wtf. what do you do for that... i dont got a clue
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem last year with my son. He was in kindergarten and this little girl in his class wrote him a letter on the computer that said that she loved him and that she missed him when she wasnt near him. She got upset once at a bday party for one of the other kids because my son wanted to sit next to me and not her. I knew the girls mother from when I went to school, and she told me that the little girl drew a pic of the two of them getting married at church. She thought that it was cute, i thought that it was upseting. My fiance still teases me about it. I wish that I would have talked to the teacher or something, but I didnt. Im just glad that we bought a house and moved. But now we have to worry about a little girl in his class telling the kids that she had sex with a boy. I did call the teacher on that one.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2008