If u had the option what would u do?

I have a nanny that watches my son 3 days a week at $10 an hour, this is somewhat expensive at the end of the week, but I love that he has that 1 on 1 attention and that he's at home. I could put him in day care for $35 a day, which would save us a lot of money, but I squirm at the idea of him going to daycare for many reasons and I've heard horror stories about daycares, even high profile ones. I'm torn, we are financially bound right now, but my son's care is SO important.....What info and opinions do u have about daycare facilities, have u had good or bad experiences?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 9:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally, if I could make ends meet while still employing the private nanny, that's what I'd do.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and NOTHING is more important than your child's care and well-being.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree with vicesix.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• one on one attention is great but kids need interaction with other kids before school age. They learn to share and play together with their peers.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Maybe just try to find a babysitter. There are several SAHM 's out there trying to make a little extra money.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• if he is still a baby i would stick with the nanny if at all possible. I would go with the daycare when he learns to speak so he can tell you about stuff
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Go and check out some local daycares.

Some of them are absolutely fabulous, and probide a better enviroment than a nanny at home. They provide socialisation with other children, lessons in how to deal with other childrena nd adults, how to share, public vs provat appropriate behavior....
    It's also good for their immune systems to be around other children, they get exposure to a lot of different bacteria that their immune system can recognise.

What exactly about daycares don't you like? I've heard just as many horror stories about nannies. Nannies stealing jewelery, cash, spending all the time watching the TV and basically ignoring the child etc....

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 9:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I wouldnt send my child to a daycare facility. I worked at one in my earler years. When I was going to college I found an amazing woman who did daycare out of her home and didnt have many kids to care for so it was more like just being at a friends house. I would pay for the nanny in your case.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree that my son needs child interaction so that he is not socially challenged but he is only 4 months right now, and we will defenitley do some sort of daycare or mothers day out b4 he goes to preschool so that he has that interaction, but I'm thinking that can come when he's 2 or so.
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• How old is he? Is he ready for daycare? Personally I would not put him daycare unless you are 100% comfortable with his SAFETY - either because you interviews everyone there and got a really good vibe, or they have webcams for you to keep an eye on everything, or they ahve a really good safety record etc - whatever make you feel comfortable with his safety.

There are things he can benefit from in a daycare setting that he can't get with a nanny - but I am NOT saying those benefits outweigh the many benefits of having a 1:1 caretaker.

Personally, if I felt the nanny was the best option for my son, and I could afford it (even if it wasn't easy), that's what I would do.

Good luck to you.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Since he is only 4 mths old I would continue the nanny if possible. At such a young age he gains nothing from daycare, all he will be doing is laying around in a crib/playpen. Right now what he needs is the 1on1 attention that you are giving him with a nanny.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011