DD keeps waking in the night saying "her nose hurts"...

No complaints during the day, and when she complains at night I believe her. It's not like she's just wanting mama to come hold her or trying to get a taste of some yummy medicine (like she loves Mylicon gas medicine so she always comes up to me saying her belly hurts in the daytime so she can get a taste - I don't give in, don't worry - I can tell when she REALLY needs it) ;)
Anyway I thought it was the dry air in our house - you know how just breathing hurts sometimes when you have really dry air? It happens to me, at least. So I put a humidifier in her room and it helped but she still woke last night complaining her nose hurt when she breathes. She actually came to my room crying pretty hard about it. I found some old (but not expired) C-phen drops her ped. gave me in the past for conjestion - she did sound a little conjested. So I gave her that & laid with her for awhile & she was OK.
But what else can I do? During the day it doesn't sound like conjestion so much, and I know that feeling in her nose she's describing - it's like a "burning". I tried to get her to let me put a warm wet washcloth on her nose so she could breathe in the moist warm air through it but she's 2 1/2 and REALLY didn't want that. I'm not sure what else to do...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would take her in to the doctor, and have them look at them. My pedi says sometimes when toddler's complain about something hurting it is actually another area, and the docs are pretty good about figuring out what is really hurting.

take her in and explain everything like you did to us.

hope she feels better soon
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know if your doing it, but keep her door closed with the humidifier so that it stays in her room better. Thats what we do with my son, or will turn it up a little higher if it doesn't seem to be working.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It might be a sinus infection. I know mine only hurt when I lay down at night.

Can't hurt to take her in and have her checked by a dr.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• A humidifier can take a few days sometimes before it will start to work. Turn it on and keep the door closed during the day and night. We have the same problem in our house with myself and the kids.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They have a saline mist for toddlers called "Little Noses". Its just saline, no medication, so you can give it to her as often as you want. I usually give my son a shot or 2 when he wakes up in the morning with a dry, crusty nose and it seems to help.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Hmmm. Yes I do leave the door closed (well, cracked) at night, but I turn off the humidifier in the daytime. I'll try that tomorrow. And I don't have "Little Noses" but I do have Ocean drops. Unfortunately it's a traumatic experience for her to have anything come near her eyes, nose, ears, or mouth lately, so I'm not sure how well that would go. :\ I might call the doc in the morning just to see what he thinks, but I don't think it's a sinus infection - she has no fever & has been acting otherwise ok...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Take her to the Dr.!! My little girl started having a really nasty smell coming from her nose. We took her in and she had shoved some fuzz from a pillow or something up her nose! I've learned since then not to mess around with orifices and children! I would definitely take her in just to rule something like this out!
    foxy420_1

Answer by foxy420_1 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Her nose hurts sounds like maybe she has sinus pressure. I know when I lay down and I have sinus pressure it hurts much worse. Have your pedi check it out.
    Noahs_Mom2005

Answer by Noahs_Mom2005 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks all, I did take her to the Ped., we just got back, in fact. Turns out she's got a slight ear infection and now her croupy cough has subsided into just an upper respiratory thing. She prescribed some amoxicillin & sent us on our way.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011