What do you do if your child only wants to play with friends at her house?

My 5 yr old has been invited to play at a few classmates homes recently. She insists that she will not go if I am not staying with her. The thing is these kids have already been over to our house (dropped off) and now they keep asking her to come to theirs. I am not comfortable inviting myself to stay- plus I have 2 younger kids so I can't. Do you tell the parent (Dad in this case.. so I am not as comfortable) the truth or do I keep declining politely? I fear that if I do tell the truth she will never be invited anywhere again and she will be thought of as a baby. I also dont know if it will seem really weird to them because their kids were dropped off even the first time and had no issue with it.

I have another invitation -what do I do? This is driving me nuts!!
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would let her. In fact my 10 year old son still prefers it. Yes it is annoying at times but they grow so fast. She will probably grow out of it. Just explain to the other parent the situation they will understand. Forcing her will make her resisit the situation more and make her anxious. Be patient dont worry about what others think and if this situation was like mine when my son was young and had a playdate it freed me from playing for abit!
    Good Luck.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• She is 5! I would explain the situation to the parents they should understand...and may invite you to stay...you may gain some great friendships out of this.... and when the kids are at yout house I know I prefer this more cause I know what they are doing and that they are supervised... Give it a try my guess is that they wont think that she is a baby! they may have been in your position a few months ago! Gl
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I used to be the same way, as I was told. It's a safe-haven, somewhere where they're comfortable. I wouldn't force the issue on the child, and politely decline to the parents who invite your child over, explain to them why, and ask in return if there child can play over at your house. =) She will grow out of it eventually, or maybe even you could go over to the house she was invited to, with ur child, of course, stay til' she's comfortable playing with the other children, and leave, that's how it always works in daycare w/ my oldest LOL
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You explain it to the other parents and use that age-old parental phrase ~ 'She seems to be going through a phase...' Every parent gets that. We've all been through them, and we all know they end. It explains it, and makes it a temporary thing. They may even be more willing to help ease her into the whole idea.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011