my DH 2 bad habits is really getting on my last nerve ...

1. he smokes ... GGrrr i hate how he smells all the time
2. he chews on his finger nails and the skin around his nails OH MY GOSH i hate hate this. its like everytime i turn around he has his fingers in his mouth...

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Instead of being annoyed about them try finding out why he does them. Mine chews his fingernails and cuticles all they way down because he is a closet worrier. And he only does it when he has something on his mind or is anxious (like during a really intense movie that he gets wrapped up in or has to go somewhere new).

Just remember he wont change unless he wants to. Ad even then it wont happen through nagging.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• He didn't do those things when you got married?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Did you know his bad habbits before you got heavly envolved with him? Smoking is a hard habbit to kick... read up on it and then maybe you can understand... it's nasty and this is coming from someone who smoked for years and one of the hardest habbits to kick! as for his fingers in his mouth they sale this stuff that he can put on his fingers that tastes horrible to try to stop... that is one of my pet peeves too is people who chew on their nails and the skin.. my mom and sis are nail biters and it just groses me out!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You knew he did those things when you married him, and by marrying him, you obviously accepted him for who he is..right? I'm sure you do things that "annoy" him, too. Don't know what to tell ya..except just deal with it. Maybe he is stressed/worried and that's why he bites his nails? And smoking, well..that's an addiction and a habit that only HE can choose to kick. Good luck.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• sigh ..... lol ...... he did but i just cant stop myself from nagging him about it now (( after 9 yrs of marriage )) it just got to the point where it annoys me.
    mistik75

Comment by mistik75 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Are you having other issues in your relationship and you are extra annoyed with him? You know like the chewing phase. You are upset about other things and even his chewing is pissing you off. Just something to think about because you have been together a long time and these aren't new habbits. Good luck:)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Agree with jen
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just two habits wow how lucky lol

with smoking just tell him how much he can save by stopping. He can put the money he would of bought cigs with and at the end of the year he can get himself a nice man toy!!

My DH does eat his nails and what we started to do is I started to put Vit-E oil and I file his nails , just taking care of them and it has slowed his chewing down.

Just stop the nagging, help him to look for ways for him to stop.

But like anyone else the more you push the more he will do it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Maybe this is a little deep. But here goes. Sometimes we lose ppl. I know that its the little things that annoy the crap outta me about my husband my boy and my girl that make them unique. They are their sparkles ... the way my husband shouts and gets red in the face when hes talking excitedly about something that interests him. Mydaughters "tude" My sons stinky b.o. ... Im REALLY making them sound great aren't I? lol But if i ever lost one of them Its those thing s that make you want to scream that you'll miss the most....
    Just be quiet some time and really look at them as people who have a right to be whoever they want and have a right to be with whoever they want and just think ... by some beautiful magic.... they are yours ... warts and all. LOVE 2 U
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 11:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Agree with prettymango too..My husband is only 44 yrs old and had a heart attack last May..it really gave me a new perspective..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011