I really dont know what to do anymore with my 3yr OLD!!

My daughter is well behaved at home, listens for the most part. She behaves when she is ok with others BUT if we are out just her and I she is a complete terror!!!. Shes always crying , screaming and whining to get her way. We were at the nail salon yesterday and she was all over the place, the nails techs were getting annoyed and so was some of the customers. I repeatedly reprimanded her and was very firm with her but she did not listen...not for a second. I dont know what to do. I take away tv, her toys, she goes to time out and sometimes get a little pat and nothing works to get her to behave when we go out... I am beyond embarrassed... It looks like I cant control my own kid and I am very firm with her and she just doesnt listen or care. If you met her at first you would think she is so well behaved because she is soooooo shy!! but BAD! I need help!!! seriously!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't take her to places where she needs to be calm and will get bored.
    I would never take a kid to a salon type environment- too many chemicals and sharp objects...

When my kids were little I had to take them shopping when I went, which was a nightmare enough.
    We didn't take them to restaurants, movie theaters or other places like that until they were old enough to SIT and behave-without annoying other people for the most part.
    I never wanted other people to have to deal with MY kids.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would take her into the bathroom and spank her little butt but if your not into that you need to find someone to watch her while you run errands
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not a bash at all but I would never expect my kids when the older 2 were that age to behave at a nail salon you are basically glued there and your kid knows it and lets face it pretty flipping boring for them as well! honestly if I was a customer I would have been annoyed because I don't think its a place for kids to be running around.

As far as the grocery store do you give your child what they are acting out for if so you are just setting yourself up for future outburst. I myelf when at a grocery store don't get annoyed when there is a crying or yelling child because I assume they are not lettin their child get their way and it happens. no biggie everyones kid tries it including my own and really if someone wants to shake their head at me thats fine who cares.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• When my son acts out when we're out somewhere, we leave. That's it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I try to do my grocery shopping when my mom is available to watch him. Is there anyone who can help you out?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My feeling is that your little girl,by acting out,is trying,the only way she knows how at this age and stage,to get her Mom's attention and focus. A nail salon is a difficult place for a child of any age. I was in one recently for ~ 30 minutes with my 16 year old daughter and I was HORRIFIED with the air quality - it was very similar to being in a body shop when you are having work done on your vehicle. Same noxious fumes.

Your little girl may have been distressed by the fumes and was doing the only thing she could do to get Mom's attention. It is an extremely unhealthy place for a child. Please,please reconsider taking her with you the next time. Perhaps you and a friend could swap child-minding for your next salon visit.
    I have a few other ideas - if I can help,just visit my page and leave a note. All the best to you and your little girl :)
    ShapeofMyHeart

Answer by ShapeofMyHeart at 10:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thats the things I cant leave when we are grocery shopping. If I dont do it it wont get done.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• if my son acts up, i eather take him to the bathroom and spank him or talk to him. or i find a corner and make him sit down for a while, if he starts hiting his head on things, i let him (might be mean but he's stopped doing it after he realized it hurts) but i make sure he's fine after he stops.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You just go to the car talk to her than go back in. But if she keeps it up than you have to leave, she needs to see that you are in charge.

You have to be firm, pick her up and walk out! she knows she is in control.

Kids are very very smart and you have to be smarter than they are. Also think about leaving her with a sitter, and tell her why she is staying with her. Than you can tell her when you act better than you can come with me.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Don't take her out. Go when she's not around, or take her to a sitter, or leave her with a loved one. Tell her you aren't taking her because she can't behave. Don't be afraid to leave when she acts out. For example, you are in the grocery store, and she throws a fit because she wants ice cream. Pick her up, and leave the store. You were there for dinner? Oh well, cook what you have in the cupboard and tell her if she had behaved, she could be eating spaghetti, or whatever you were going to make. It may not be fun for you, or the other people in the family, but she has to know there are more severe, lasting consequences for her actions. Another thing is if she is acting out, it is probably because she may not be getting the attention she wants. Try only taking places she can interact with you. Nail salon is not somewhere she would be able interact with you. Grocery store: Ask her what brand of noodles she wants? Which cereal?
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011