Help!! Need Advice

My baby is 5 months old and he will not let me put him down like ever, unless I put on one of his shows which I don't like him to watch tv at this young age. I have a million toys a playpen, swing, jumperoo, and he just wants me to hold him, I can sit him on a playmat with toys but I have to sit with him if I leave the room he screams and cries so hard that he like turns bright red, I have to get things done I just can't entertain him all day everyday people have been telling me just let him cry but he has the loudest saddest cry and it's so hard, its so bad that me and my husband can't even eat without him screaming and he just keeps getting worse, I know he's just getting more spoiled but I don't know what the right ting to do is! Should I just let him cry it out so he gets used to being by himself/? I make sure all of his basic needs are met and of course I will spend some time playing with him but I can't do it all day long, any advice on this subject would really help b/c I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!! Also is this normal for him to be like this?

LiamsMommy723

Asked by LiamsMommy723 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a sling, so you can hold him and still get things done.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I thought that I had to get a bunch of "stuff" done as well when my son was small. I ended up not spending enough time with him when he was young. If you spend all the time with him while he is awake, he will sleep better, eat better, and be happier. Screw the house work. Do it when he naps or not at all. Your son is telling you he loves you and wants to see you. Don't stress, it will work out :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just carry him. Soon, when he can sit by himself and then crawl, he won't be like this. You aren't spoiling him, you are giving him what he needs. Never let him cry, that's so mean!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Babies do not get spoiled tell they are older get a sling or just do things when he is slepping and spend time with him when he is awake.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• letting him cry a little isn't mean, it teaches him to self sooth, which will be helpful for bed time in the future, and it teaches him that he can entertain himself when he does stop. though i do agree that things need to be done. my daughter almost 6 weeks old, and she does the same thing, though she doesn't know shes doing it, she just wants mommy. i will put her in front of the tv for a few minutes, she likes to watch the movement, and i think it makes her think she is not alone. i could be wrong. but i only do this when i have to switch over laundry, or for a few minutes while i do dishes. when i am folding laundry, i put her inher bouncy seat facing me on the floor, and fold clothes in front of her. i would put her i the counter while i do dishes, it is big enough, but i am too affraid if i move wrong i might hit the seat. so the tv is fine for a few minutes in my opinion. good luck. and crying never hurt a baby.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree with the sling, he is just a tap bit to young to cry it out. When he is able to crawl teach him to crawl after you. This helped tons with my oldest.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• just let him cry a bit while you do one thing, come back, play for a while, then go do something else.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Embrace this for it won't last forever. Okay, I wrote like a paragraph and my dumb laptop mouse earased it. So in short ...enjoy this time and hold that baby as much as possible. You can't ever spoil a child with too much love and affection. I feel it makes a more confident and well behaved child. I got one of those backpack snuggie thingamabobs and vaccumed, did laundry and cooked while holding him.
    Amber1125

Answer by Amber1125 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• A wrap can be your best friend or a pack and play that you can bring into other rooms. Since it sounds like if you are in the same room he is ok. I wouldn't try to make a 5 month old more independent they need their mommy.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do try to put him in the bouncy or a pack and play I have a sling thing but I need to find one that doesnt hurt my back, but he always cries unless held, I am in no way neglecting ghim I spend every minute with him also we cant even eat without him wanting to be held, I know he's only 5 months but that is spoiled!!! I cannot be in the same room even with him I have to be holding him and when he does calm down if he sees me he freaks out
    LiamsMommy723

Comment by LiamsMommy723 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011