my 4 1/2 month old...first time mom

My daughter is jsut shy of 4 1/2 months old. We tried the cereal on her 4 month birthday. She didn't like it we tried again the week after and she was doing better today we started her on carrots. When can I start her on a nother food? Also what kind of food do you recomend? When do you start then on water down juice? Also how many bottles a day should she be drinking? I'm sorry for all the questions. First time Mama. Thank you in advance for you answers

MadeylnsMom

Asked by MadeylnsMom at 8:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For food, check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com You can give her pretty much any of the stage 1 foods, and you can even make your own! Just put at least 3-4 days in between new foods so that if she ends up with a food allergy, you will be able to tell right away what it was.

Juice I believe should start around 6 months. I've been told that you should give 4 oz a day, and you can water it down to spread it out through the day. How many bottles she drinks can vary from baby to baby, as well as if she's in a growth spurt or not. Just feed her when she's hungry! My son is almost 5 months and he eats 8 oz every 3-4 hours, but he's slowing down now that his growth spurt is almost over.

Make sure you give formula first, then let her tummy settle and give solid foods after. All of her nutrition should come from formula or breastmilk right now. Solid foods are just fun practice.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 8:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• First, is she breastfed or formula fed? If breastfed, they don't recommend the juice until she's at least 8 months, but realistically about 10 months. I don't know for formula fed babies though. We gave our DD's a variety of the stage one baby food, I know you're not supposed to, but I gave them a different food each time-who wants to eat the same food every day? As far as cereal goes, try the flavored ones and the oatmeals. They make ones with fruit in them, or you can mix the cereal in with their jar food too. I am no mommy expert by any means, but feel free to PM me if I can help in anyway. I know how lost I was with my first, and I've been around kids my whole life! Now I have 3 and my last one on the way, but I still am like omg sometimes. Every baby is different after all. I hope I helped you some!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 9:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter is 4 and a half months just shy also she loves carrots you should keep her on that for at least 3 to 4 days to see if she has a reaction. I would try bananas or pears mine loves them
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 9:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It has been said that you may have to introduce a food 10-15 times before your child might like it. Try making the cereal different consistencies, mixing it up with a fruit or vegetable (or even a juice). You can introduce any of the first foods, waiting a minimum of 3 days in between to check for allergies. I waited on juices until all of the sage 1's were introduced. I also feed my son 5 bottles a day (2- 4oz with a food, 2- 6oz, and an evening 7oz bottle). He is happy and growing with plenty of wet/dirty diapers, so I know we are on the right path.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• You should not be experimenting with foods before 6 months.
    Moms do it out of boredom, not out of your child actually NEEDING these things.
    If you're bored, go for a walk.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• "It has been said that you may have to introduce a food 10-15 times before your child might like it."

If this is said, it is said by moms who start solids too early.
    All a baby TRULY needs before a year is breastmilk. (Or even formula if that's your path)

That reflex of pushing the food back out isn't out of dislike- it is out of not being READY for solids..

Baby's digestive systems are not mature enough for solids until after 6 months.. Their actual interest and want for it? Usually not for many more months..

Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• wow didnt your mother teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all?

anyways...

if your baby does not take well to the cereal, then i would try mixing it like pp mentioned. the 4 1/2 month old girl i watch loves her solids and has ones she prefers and ones she doesnt. she will not eat the cereal on its own. so i would try with one of the fruits to help flavor it a little. But when YOU feel YOUR baby is ready for solids, then have at it. Only YOU can judge your childs readiness. Have fun and enjoy those funny faces she is going to make. She will like some over others, so just take your time and introduce new ones a few times. I always heard a week in between new foods, but im sure 3-4 days is enough time.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Personally, I think your baby is too young for solids, but the answer to your question is 3 days. Give a food for at least 3 days before introducing a new food.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• first of all personally ask your pediatrician- i work for my son's pediatrician and i get lots of professional answers-my son is 4 1/2 months old and was diagnosed with acid reflux so i have been giving him rice cereal with formula since 2 months and i started introducing rice cereal with a little bit of like stage 1 baby food for flavor no more than 2 times a month just to help settle his stomach and seems to help since he was throwing up everything before i just do it because his dr said it would help him with his stomach no other reason and he still of course is on all formula too-juice not until 6 mos and no more than 4 oz a day mixed with water--my son does take prune juice with white grape juice like once a day because he has been constipated so dr told me to try that-but other than that no juice until 6 mos and really not necessary
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2008