3 week old without bowel movement for 2 days..

is this a bad thing? He was poohing every day atleast twice and now nothing has come out. HE is breastfed and formula feed about 4 oz of formula day

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• same thing happen to my baby someone told me breastfeed baby are never constipated.dd didnt poop for a 2 days then she was back on track.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• He could be constipated. I'd give him another day and then call your doctor. My doctor told me to put karo syrup in his formula. I think it was a teaspoon for every 2 ounces.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The formula could make his bowls change but my pediatrician told me it was normal for baby's to go a couple of days without a BM. Give it another day and then call your doctor. When you supplement formula you could try the liquid formula. It doesn't make them as constipated as the powder.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• In BF babies it's perfectly normal to go daays without pooing. Poo is basically the waste, and in breastmilk, there's virtually no waste, and so virtually no poo.
    Babies are only constipated when they struggle to get it out, or if it's hard when it does vome out. My DD didn't poo for 8 days once. She was perfectly fine, just had a little larger poo with no trouble.

If he does show signs of struggling, give him an oz or so water.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is normal for any baby whether breast or formula fed, to go up to 5 days without a bowel movement.

Unless she is straining to poop or you feel a hard lump in her abdomen from poop, she is fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Give her some apple juice mixed with water,she will be able to go poop without having to wait a day. Apple juice works every time.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would not give a baby that small juice or anything at all to make her poop. If she is mostly breastfed, it is highly unlikely she is constipated. My son has a BM every 4 days. On the 4th day, he goes twice and is done. He is BF and that is how he has been since birth. Just relax and wait. She will go.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It is normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movements.

Supplementing with formula is putting you on the road to decline in breastmilk production

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• EBF babies can go a long time between bowel movements. Once formula is in the mix, I'm uncertain. BUT, if the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like, I wouldn't really be concerned.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh, and PLEASE, no karo. It has a risk of botulism poisoning, like honey. And at 3 weeks, I wouldn't do juice either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011