How often is too often for headaches in a 3 yr old?

my son is 3 he has been complaining for about 4 days or so that his head is hurting in the morning. its in the back at the base of his head today yesterday it was in the front and back.
I have had migraines my Whole life and so im just wondering if this is something to be concerned about. i give him some childrens advil and a warm compress for his head. i also talked to the nurse line and she said to keep what im doing and if its still bothering him call monday.
my question is this too often for him to have headaches?

knagsmom

Asked by knagsmom at 11:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It can be from dehydration. Does he drink enough liquid throughout the day? And I don't mean like juice and stuff. I mean water. If he doesn't drink enough water he can have headache. The other possibility: from stress. Does anything changed around him? New house, new baby, new preschool? Or allergy and diabetes can cause headache as well. Take him to the doctor and ask for a blood sugar and an allergy tests. 4 days headache is a big thing with children. It is a bog thing with adults as well. It can be from flu. But whatever it is something is up with your son. Take him to the doctor and find out ASAP. Headache sucks. :(

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My daughter's 2 and the only time she's ever complained about her head hurting was when she fell down and hit it on something. So I'm not really any help. I would just do what the nurse says. Keep doing what you're doing and if it doesn't get better over the weekend, take him to the doctor on Monday. Or if it gets even worse over the weekend, take him to the ER just to get him checked out. I'll give you a bump too. I hope you figure out what's wrong with him and it's nothing.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thanks ladies. im hoping its nothing as well. its just been one thing after another and i couldnt handle anything being wrong with him or his little sister. he is playing and moving normal. i just asked hows his head and he said it feels better. but he does that the other days too. i give him the dose of meds and the compress and a few hrs later he feels better
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• nothing has changed. there isnt any stress either. he drinks nothing but water ALL day. he doesnt like juice during the day unless he is sick, and he gets 2 glasses of milk a day. other then later he just wants water.
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have taken Advil and given it to my children but it doesn't always get rid of headaches all the time depending upon the type of headache you have.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• ya he was fine all day. were getting ready for bedtime here soon so we will see how it goes
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011