my husband loves feeding our son but...

HE is breastfeed and it is getting harder to pump for him each day. I am really love how much he is taking an interest so I am really thinking about just doing formula for when my husband wants to feed him. What is the best and safest formula? Similac seems to have lots of recalls and that worries me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your peditrician. My son was on Isomil. My daughter was on everything due to reflux but eventually we got her on Carnation good start
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Formulas are much of a muchness. ALL have the same risk factors. Baby's choice is the determiner. What will BABY take? Get samples.

THAT SAID... if you don't pump you can find yourself losing your supply. If you want to continue nursing, dad feeding can be the riskiest thing you do. If that's a concern, then rather than feeding the baby (which is NOT bonding, by the way) put dad in charge of non-feeding duties like BATHING. Best fun you can have with a baby because they pay attention and interact rather than just suck suck suck with little conscious awareness of what's happening. (OK,that was mine. Feeding time was zoneout time.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it would be tough on his tummy to switch back and forth like that. And it will effect your supply. I can't get anything out when I pump so I just have my hubby do baby's bath or take him and have one on one playtime. It works well for us and I can get some things done while they play!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Enfamil Lipil is what my children used from the day they stopped breastfeeding. It all depends on what your baby will take, what settles in his stomach well, and so on. Every baby is different and has a different reaction.

I agree with a previous post. Have dad be involved in other ways if you want to continue breastfeeding your child. Like Bathing, or rocking to sleep, things that he can do to help him bond with baby.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Conventional formulas are made with genetically modified corn and soy, and are loaded with pesticides. Use an organic formula.

Keep in mind that when you supplement with formula, you will see a decline in production.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Enfamil Premium is what my kids use when I supplement. I do the same thing - I breastfeed, but when my husband wants to feed her I use a bottle of formula. I did the same thing with my last child, dad fed him a few times/week, and I had no issues with production, and my son had no issues with switching back and forth.

Answer by missanc at 1:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• both my children used similac. the most recent recall was not the formula it was something with the containers...and it was handled so well.
    i trust them, though. and would continue using it if i needed to. i would also recommend it to anyone. obviously, if you are going to go that route you want to choose a brand you are comfortable with, but once your child starts bottle feeding they will probably want to continue as the bottle gives them what they want faster.
    good luck!
    sunnymommy122

Answer by sunnymommy122 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• How old is you LO? Most health organizations suggest ONLY breastmilk for the first 6 months. You might want to google the case for the virgin gut. Even one serving of formula completely alters the gut flora for up to 2 weeks. I'm sure your DH wants what is best for his baby! There are so many ways for dad to bond with baby and have a special relationship w/o feeding. With all 3 of my kids we never pumped and had DH give a bottle, unless I was going to be leaving the baby with him for some reason.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I BF and DH will use Enfamil formula for times I am not home. My DS has been used to both since birth. The Enfamil has never given him issue.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Enfamil is what I'd recommend, but I do get WIC and have to get Similac (not recalled stuff:)) and he takes it just fine and it seems to be doing him good :)
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 5:00 AM on Jan. 8, 2011