rectal temp taking?

I really can't stand that hospitals and doctor's offices do this! It bugs me cause I don't feel comfortable having it taken and if you take it from the armpit it is one degree off of what they take from rectal. I worry that it is hurting my children whne its done, I have talked to the hospital and offices about changing this cause it seems wrong for it to be taken that way. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's the most accurate and if done correctly it shouldn't hurt
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If the armpit temp is taken its off by one degree. It also isn't mentally damaging ( for myself to see my child checked there) I feel that its wrong and the hospital checks children rectally til there 3 how can you tell your child no one should touch you there when a doctor pokes your bottom with somethign?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my husband feels the same way my son is 5 months old today and he hates when i say i have to take his temp. so now i am taking his temp either by ear or by armpitif you know how much of a differencethen it is ok i notice my doctors office also checks under the arm had them do rectal so after thinking about that for a while i decided to change how i it saved some arguments .
    steelermom80410

Answer by steelermom80410 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• In infants, I feel it is the best way to get an accurate temp when they are so fragile to illness. Around 6 months, I use an ear temp. If between 6mo to 1year the temp is extremely high, I might do a rectal. After 1 year, no. If it makes you that uncomfortable, ask them to use another method. My doc always uses the ear, regardless of age.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My daughter has never had her temperature taken rectally; only ear and armpit. You are the parent, and you have the right to say no.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i think they do it rectally because it gives them the most accurate reading...but, yeah, if it makes you uncomfortable let your child's doctor know. i am sure they have other methods, but as long as you understand it may not be as accurate...
    sunnymommy122

Answer by sunnymommy122 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011