Class warfare?

Do you think Obama's comments about outgoing White House Spokesman, Robert Gibbs, and his MODEST salary of $172,000 is appropriate given that the AVERAGE household income hovers around $55,000?!

I guess I find it ironic that Obama sees couples earning $250,000 per year as "rich," yet Gibbs' salary is "modest" by comparison.

Side note: Gibbs' wife, attorney Mary Catherine Gibbs is a partner in a law firm. They have one 6 year old son.

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 11:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• it is modest compared to CEO;s and Sports stars and Entertainment figures......probably modest compared to some of you ladies here at CM. I woud think all of this is a trivial discussion though.

They are all trivial discussions to those who don't get the point.

Democrats have to have class warfare to even get in office, because their logic falls flat without it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 172,000 is MODEST? really?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• LOL... Modest.... That is funny.... We lived in VA, back when my hubby was a 1LT and he made $40,000/yr.... I would say, THAT was modest....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm feeling pretty poor right now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm also old enough to remember when you worked for the gov't for the satisfaction of it, not for the money because it paid far less than a private sector job. Now a lot of gov't jobs are double what you can make in the private sector. That is so skewed if you think about it. Taxpayers are paying for wages of people making double their salary. I guess the "working poor" can provide jobs after all.

And before anyone jumps on me, I realize that the gov't workers also pay the taxes that help fund their own jobs.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• . Now a lot of gov't jobs are double what you can make in the private sector

In many cases~Military Contractors make nearly twice the amount as the soldier force, doing the same career field...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They do have loopholes but the top 20 percent of all earners pay most of the taxes. The bottom 35 percent pay in nothing or if they do pay in they get it all back and then some. You can do a little research to see who pays what.

Ignorance is bliss, anon. Did you forget?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Democrats have to have class warfare to even get in office, because their logic falls flat without it

agree

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would love to have a MODEST income like that.

Funny how that extra $80 grand pushes your income from MODEST to RICH enough to tax the crap out of. Hmmmm maybe if you make $250 grand or more you can pay the $80 grand in taxes and regain the MODEST label?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 11:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Among Obama and the fat cats on the hill, 172,000 IS a paltry sum- I'm sure his wife makes more working as an attorney. Once you accept that those in the inner circle consider themselves above the rest of us, you totally get BOs comment. They are in control- similar to many third world countries, they think that they SHOULD be able to decide just how much money stays within the working class....for our class, 250,000 is rich, according to the rulers....not to worry, they've decided that the billionaires should have the same tax burden as you..... Never understand why some support legal, congress endorsed, tax loopholes for the mega rich, ruling class. With the fox guarding the hen house, why wonder when the hens go missing?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2011