What the best way to disipline your child or children for what the post on facebook

A uncle read that his nephew was in a gang and read some of the things that the nephew post.and went to the nephew house and whopped his nephew behind clockwise for it.and was told that his entire weekend is on lockdown.

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• taking away computer and internet and maybe grounding
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Whooping? No, not under any circumstances. The equivalent of house arrest, though, most definitely.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Delete the FB profile. No more computer.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well, I honestly think you are talking about an extreme case here. Disciplining is one thing, but this kid was saying he was in a gang, contemplating joining a gang or possibly already involved in a gang. Scary stuff. I'd have to have more details on what the uncle did, as far as whooping him. This is why I do not like this Facebook stuff, it's too difficult to know what is real and what is not. I know lots of men in my family that would probably have kicked his a** too. However, being a mom, I probably would have researched it more... pulled the internet out of my home and then took the kid down to the police station so they could find out more information.

I don't have to deal with what my kids post though, because they are adults. I can tell you I wouldn't know who to deal with kids and Facebook otherwise. It's tough these days and I don't envy anyone trying to raise kids in this society.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It depends on how old are they. First of all I wouldn't let my children use the facebook before their 16th birthday. There are so many bad and crazy people on it. And anyway why on the Earth a child need the facebook? They meet with their friends at school. It is more than enough. And they go to the bed around 7-9 (depends on the age.). So they can do the homework, play some games, watch some TV and have a bath and go to the bed. Or read something. But hanging out on the internet is nothing but trouble for them and for their parents as well. Back to the question: I think it is a lucky thing this uncle read that the kid is in a gang and how he talks because maybe the family can do something with the kid before he dies (in London more than 20 underage (14-16-year-old) children died in gang fights (gunshots and got stabbed.) last year. So I think it is better to know these thing so you can prevent a bigger problem.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think the Uncle was out of line for whopping the nephew! it is NOT his place to discipline the nephew (unless he is nephew's guardian). The uncle should have talked to the parents and told them what he found and let them handle it! As for what I would do if it were my child, I would ban them from computer and give them other things to do with their time-- like extra chores and grounding them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well, I think there are other problems then just facebook if the kids says he's in a gang..... but anyway, if I found out my kid was sneaking a facebook or posting inappropriate things I would delete their account and remove their computer, and a heavy grounding would follow. That is not something I would hit my child for.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would make my child apologize to all his friends on Facebook and then he would lose his computer, phone privledges and anything else he really loved. Unplugging kids and making them spend time with family is a good thing. My teens are not allowed computers in their room. They don't have texting on their phones and I have access through my phone to everything they are doing on their phone. I don't check but they know I can. My kids are not allowed to just sit on their butts doing nothing. They are active in sports, dance and volunteering. They don't have time to be in a gang or do what a lot of teens do. I worked when they were infants and toddlers so I could be home when they were teens and really needed me to be around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Take away the computer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I guess what most are saying I agree with in a "normal" situation. But this situation is stating "gang" that I think is a whole new ball game. I don't know all the details of this but if indeed this is a true gang that is involved, I don't think your typical take away the computer and phone privileges is going to do the trick

sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011