how do you handle ste grandchildren

our son married a wonderful girl -divorced with 2 small children( age 5 and 7) we have 2 grandchildren from our daughter the same age- how do we handle birthday and christmas when they will all be together?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I was your daughter in law youd win HUGE points if you treated my kids like your true grandkids! I would do that if possible

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am not a grand parent.but I am a step mom.and I suggest you treat the kids all the same.It causes hurt feelings for the kids when they are not all treated the same.

Answer by evelynwest at 12:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why treat them any different grandma, after all you are grandama. Your son married into a already made family, I give him credit and you credit for raising a good family, now you have extended family. It is so fun, many more blessing to share with others.

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Plan on treating them the same. If the "step" grandchildren aren't into it let them be, if they are great. Most kids revel in attention.

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My parents had this experience too, recently. They just threw them all into the mix. After awhile, everyone just blends. Just treat them like your own grandchildren.

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mother has never thought anything different of my stepson...He is their first grandbaby and that is that. The only person who makes a big deal about it is his mother, which is sad because what kid doesn't want another set of grandparents. I treat him like my own. But she is just looking for a reason to complain.......she would bitch if we singled him out too. I dont think I could make a difference among them.....He does have slightly higher expectations, but he is the oldest and has a good two years on the others however the four year old is catching up quickly and their does not seem to be a difference there anymore :P

Answer by ambernicole531 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Welcome them into your family, treat them like your grandchildren, and forget about the "step".

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I had 3 kids from my previous marriage when I married my husband. We now have 2 kids together. His parents treat all 5 of our kids just like they treat all their other grandchildren - same number of presents, same amount spent, etc. My MIL is teaching my oldest daughter how to sew. I love that she treats them so well. It's never been an issue, they are my inlaws grandchildren!

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011