how do you handle ste grandchildren

our son married a wonderful girl -divorced with 2 small children( age 5 and 7) we have 2 grandchildren from our daughter the same age- how do we handle birthday and christmas when they will all be together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I was your daughter in law youd win HUGE points if you treated my kids like your true grandkids! I would do that if possible
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am not a grand parent.but I am a step mom.and I suggest you treat the kids all the same.It causes hurt feelings for the kids when they are not all treated the same.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why treat them any different grandma, after all you are grandama. Your son married into a already made family, I give him credit and you credit for raising a good family, now you have extended family. It is so fun, many more blessing to share with others.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Plan on treating them the same. If the "step" grandchildren aren't into it let them be, if they are great. Most kids revel in attention.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My parents had this experience too, recently. They just threw them all into the mix. After awhile, everyone just blends. Just treat them like your own grandchildren.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mother has never thought anything different of my stepson...He is their first grandbaby and that is that. The only person who makes a big deal about it is his mother, which is sad because what kid doesn't want another set of grandparents. I treat him like my own. But she is just looking for a reason to complain.......she would bitch if we singled him out too. I dont think I could make a difference among them.....He does have slightly higher expectations, but he is the oldest and has a good two years on the others however the four year old is catching up quickly and their does not seem to be a difference there anymore :P
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Welcome them into your family, treat them like your grandchildren, and forget about the "step".
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I had 3 kids from my previous marriage when I married my husband. We now have 2 kids together. His parents treat all 5 of our kids just like they treat all their other grandchildren - same number of presents, same amount spent, etc. My MIL is teaching my oldest daughter how to sew. I love that she treats them so well. It's never been an issue, they are my inlaws grandchildren!

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011