bedtime

O.K. I am trying to make some changes in the way I parent. Up to this point I have been pretty laid back most of the time. My two daughters ages 10 & 13 are supposed to be in bed by 9:30 pm and then they can read until 10:00 pm. At 10:00 pm it is supposed to be lights out. I know that my 13 year old turns out the main light in her room and then turns on the little book light she has and then reads until who knows when. Would it be wrong of me, if she does this to confiscate the reading light so that when I say lights out that is what is understood? When I tell them I want them to go to sleep she wants to argue the point that what does it matter if I go to sleep or not if I can get up in the morning and get to school on time. I am worried that the insufficient amount of sleep she is getting is having negative effects on her.

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Put your foot down Momma, or she's going to get more defiant. Our 14 yr old son does the same thing, so I make him keep his door open so I can see that his lights out.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No, it wouldn't be wrong bec your the Mother and she needs to do what your telling her. It's not a bad thing, but she does need her rest for school, and she does need to listen to her Mother.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My girls are ages 6,7, and 9 and their bed time is 8 for school nights and about 9 for the weekend. I would take the light cause kids do need their rest. I make sure when lights out only can get up to go potty or if something is wrong or wise off to sleep they go and if do not up good for the week then the next week bed earlier than usual time and they seem to not want that so they go back to being good. Your not a bad mom you just want your kids to get rest for school.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It would not be wrong of you. And good for you for stepping up and making the changes at that age they need to know that what you say goes!
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 10 year old should be going to bed before 10pm, in my opinion. 9pm bedtime would be better . Kids need their sleep.

Just because they are sister doesn't mean bedtime has to be the same time.....with age comes privileges. And put your foot down about lights out. You are the parent, enforce your rules or the "walking all over you" will just get worse.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• She's reading?!?!?!?! Oh hell no, you need to put a stop to that. Next thing you know she'll be volunteering at a homeless shelter or taking AP classes.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Control freak much?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I used to do this as a kid. I can understand your concerns, I really can. However knowing more about your 13 year old I think you're on the right track. My first reaction was going to be that as long as she is maintaining her grades, etc. You should allow her to keep reading but if she starts to let them slip then the books come out of the room for the night. However your 13 yr old has been diagnosed with Trich and I know one of my biggest "pulling sessions" would be when I was reading at night and I wasn't even aware I was pulling. So it is something to be concerned about. I would make sure you explain the reasons why you are restricting her from reading late at night and make sure she understands why and that it isn't as a form of punishment but rather more important for her overall health. I would let her read at night on weekends but keep her door open just so you can monitor and make her aware if she begins to pull.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2011