Are we inherently good?

(In my best "Coffee Talk" voice) Discuss!

TikiWiki33

Asked by TikiWiki33 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Some more than others. I think it is amazing how a human being can disintegrate into something evil if the right provocation is present.  The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The Bible teaches that the heart is enherently evil. Jerimah 17:9
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am, but I don't think the majority of people are, sadly
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• According to most religions, the purest form of life is a newborn child and they are blank slates on which to learn. We are each programed to have a conscience, either given to us by a higher form or through evolution. God's Law and Man's Law are practiced to keep a base level of morality. In eastern traditions, karma follows you from one life to the next. And, during each life you are given a chance clear it and can clear it from previous lives. Eventually, you can even negate others' karma mishaps. So even if you are born without a conscience or into a bad situation, the universe has a way for you to come back to your inherently good nature.
    tdbaas

Answer by tdbaas at 12:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't think that as a whole humans are inherently anything. I think environment plays the role in deciding whether a person is good or bad, though some people may be born with either quality despite how they are raised. My person opinion is luck of the draw, and survival of the fittest.
    Anonymous

• I think it's nurture over nature for the most part.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Everyone is different
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think for the most part, we are. However, there is always the exception to the rule.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I htink people are inherently selfish.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I believe so, yes. I believe we all have the potential to cultivate our humanity, to strive toward the ideals we see. These virtues of compassion, love, etc,are tied to our consciousness/conscience and humanity, are innately part of us, making us innately good or capable of goodness. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011