Help me make a decision about a good Antidepressant.

I am a depressed type person. Have taken med.s in the past. This past week I have been on a pain reliever with codeine in it. I felt so happy, so alive and so free. I want to feel like this all the time. Any thoughts on a good antidepressant that will work with little or no side complications? I took Paxil before and it made me not want to be touched. I simply didn't need any contact. No sex, no personal pleasure, just complacent. Any thoughts on what has helped with out that blah feeling of no emotions?
Any ideas and input will be much appreciated.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Health

• I am on Lexapro and it has helped me get back into the happy mode. It has helped get me back into being more intimate with my DH. Good Luck!
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Unfortunately about all antidepressants come with major sde effects. I went off of all of my meds just over 2 yrs ago, and honestly I have never felt better. I don't know if you live in a medical marijuana state or not, but I have heard and my own pshychiritrist recommended it for me. Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Well well well Happy=lexapro 10mg 1 time a day
    the first day i took that i was up all night long just talking to my hubby and man did i want sex for the first time in a while.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 9:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• zoloft has worked really well for me with the only side effect being that I don't have much of an appetite on it
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 9:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I take zoloft too. it has helped me alot. and i have had no side effects either.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 9:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I would try a SNRI like Effexor - my clients have experinced less side effects with this type of mediction than SSRI's like Zoloft. Also if you want long term relief from your symptoms -psychotherapy along with medication is the way to go
    Anonymous

• I took Prozac for awhile and it helped with my state of mind, but completely took away any sex drive! I asked the doctor to switch me to something with less side effects, and now I take Wellbutrin. I'm not sure it helps my symptoms quite as much, but it does help-- without affecting my libido (which makes my husband happy).
    Anonymous

• I take Celexa and have NO side effects! The doctor started me out on that because she said it was one of the meds with the least amount of side effects.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I love my Lexapro. I have tried tons of them, zoloft, cymbalta, effexor, prozac, tofranil. The Lexapro is working well. The Effexor worked pretty good for me also, but I gained 20 lbs in 4 months. And i'm a petite person. 5ft tall 100 lbs. I jumped to 120lbs. I was hungry all the time. I would have to get up in the middle of the night to eat. I have never in my life been like that. I have never weighed that much except when I was pregnant! So I came off of it. BEWARE- coming off of effexor is the worse experience of my life. I felt like a psychotic crack head. And I weaned off. I got to where I was opening up the capsules and counting out the time release pellets inside to get each dose smaller. But I still missed 3 days of work because I mentally and physically could not function. I was shaking, and having brain zaps. I almost checked myself into the hospital. No joke. So I will NEVER take another SNRI.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Lexapro makes me happy! i'm currently off it cause of the pregnancy, and i miss it soooooo much!!!
    myboysnme

Answer by myboysnme at 8:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008