What advice would you give your DD if she is being bullied at school?

She is 10 years old and so it the bully.

Freedombound

Asked by Freedombound at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• report it before it get out of control, which is what happened my daughter. Most schools have strict bully rules and will not tolorate this
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yep, report it. Although my 15 yr old wouldn't let me when she was having an issue, she took care of it herself. But that's not always possible. Good luck! Bullies SUCK!!!!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 8:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would talk to her and see if she has any friends that will stand with her. When my son was being bullied a bunch of his friends got together and then one day on the playground, when the bully came over this is what happened. My sons friends, as well as my son, told the bully he needed to "Shut Up" and leave my son a lone.

Since the kids were united I think the bully got the idea. I would also talk to the school to see if they are aware of it. If they are not then I would talk to them about it. The only thing you don't want to do it make it worse for you DD.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• REPORT IT and then CHECK BACK TO SEE WHAT/HOW IT WAS HANDLED!!
    My son was bullied and it was the most damaging thing dealing with the school, which depsite the reports would not do anything, I finally threatened sueing them, going to the school board and calling all the news stations I could, then and only then did they do something. After the boys attacked him!!! I pulled all my kids out and they went to public school after that.
    DO NOT WAIT.... REPORT IT!!!
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 4:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• One thing I found that has worked for my son, is that when he finds a bully teasing, saying mean things or calling him names, he puts his hands on his hips says "Thank you for sharing that", immediately turns around and walks away, before the bully has time to think of something else to say. They don't seem to tease him much anymore. If the bully is being violent with hitting etc, talk to your child about reporting it right away to an adult.
    Remember a bully only does this because of their own insecurities, and thinks it makes them look good in front of their friends, which in turn makes them think they have power. Teach your child to have the power instead.
    PrincessDi106

Answer by PrincessDi106 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Thanks Everyone....I will talk with my DD and then have a chat with the school. Again thanks so much! I was worried I was over thinking this and was about to make things worse...but my gut is with you all....report it. :)
    Freedombound

Answer by Freedombound at 12:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2008