Do you think Obama would been voted into offiice if he wasn't black?

This is an argument my family was having a few nights back. My dad says he got into office because he's a damn good Dem (he's a major Dem) my older brother said no it's because he was black. People thought it would be cool to have a black President. I stayed out of the argument because it's pointless.

I wanted to get other ladies opinions about this.
Do you really think most of his votes was just because he was black and people wanted to help make history or think it was cool to have a black president for chance?

Try to make this post respectful and no bashing otehrs for their opinions.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that almost any Democrat would have been elected in '08 as much of the country was burned out on the wars, the economy, and republicans in general. They could have put up almost anyone and still won. However, I think his being part black certainly brought a new level of enthusiasm among certain segments of the population and also drove some people to vote who never bothered to before. Ultimately though, I think a Dem would be in office regardless.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Obama ran a great campaign. That is why he got voted in. He was able to use the internet and technology to get the youth vote. He was able to tap the black vote. He was also riding in on the fact most people didnt like Bush and democrats would have won either way. Problem he is going to have this time around is people havent seen the hope and change he has promised and the youth vote didnt show up in 2010. They probably wont in 2012.

Answer by gemgem at 12:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I know many of my black friends knew nothing about his background, policies, etc., but voted for him because he is black (really only 1/2 black, but many of them didn't even know that!)

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I know I'm going to get alot of vote downs for this but yes, I think if he was white he never would have got in.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think if he was white he never would have got in.

There is some truth to this - if he'd been a white male running against Hillary in the primaries, SHE would have won on the novelty factor combined with her last name, so there never would've been a race between Obama and McCain for Obama to win. That kind of voting is localized enough in a primary to matter. As for the race against McCain, though, the numbers of people who admitted to voting for him because of his color were spread out enough not to count, and balanced out by those who voted for McCain due to Obama's color. There are plenty of stats to back that up from both during and after the race if you'd care to go slog through a year of surveys and data analysis.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think he beat Clinton because he's black. If he wasn't he'd have been just another white man with the same ideas everyone else had, and Clinton would have won because she's a woman. What "change" would he have been selling if he was the same as everyone else? His ideas were not new or different.

He became President because everyone hated Bush and so didn't want to vote for another Republican.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• anybody running against the repub ticket would've won, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think who ever ran on the dem ticket would have been elected. People were sick of Bush.

Then after McCain chose that psychohillybilly as his running mate, the repubs never stood a chance.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm not sure. I do think that being black had a lot to do with it, especially when you look at the number of African American voters compared to past elections, but I think a lot of other factors really played into is as well. I think people were ready for a change (and not just because of his campain slogan...) but black or not Obama is much different from any other president we had in office. Plus, so many people were so fed up with Bush they didn't want another Republican in office.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think he was voted in because people looked upon him with hope. Why? People needed someone to give them hope: He was young, good looking, black, democrat, looked good in a suit, had a lovely and strong wife, cute kids, a charismatic message, and people put him on a pedestal and hoped he was a sort of messiah. When he proved to be all too human, people became disappointed...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011