Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

got a tax question.....

what status do I file. Last year i filed seperate but couldnt claim head of household because me and stbx was only seperated 4 months. now we have been seperated for over a year so can i file single head of household? I have a kid i am claiming. can i also claim my bf since he didnt work in 2010? whats the best way to file to get the most. just wondering.


Asked by devonsmama1 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 9 (312 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Unless you have very complicated taxes, such as with multiple partnerships, there is no reason to pay someone to do your taxes.

    Call the IRS Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
    Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
    Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • I filed head of household the first year ex and me split and we had only been split a few months? I would think it would be alright. I dont know about claiming your bf you would be better off going to a tax place and asking them to file for you.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • You can use one of those online tax sites for free. Turbotax? There's a couple of them and they are VERY easy to use!

    Yes - you can file head of household this year. Not sure about your bf, but when you are doing your taxes and it asks about dependents, it will tell you who qualifies so you'll know whether to add him or not.

    Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • i go to jackson and hewitt just figured id ask around. u have to be sepereated 6+ months to file head of house or atleast thats what i was told there

    Comment by devonsmama1 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011