my 2.5 yo DS

hits, kicks, hurts the dogs, mouths off.
i think its because of his father. who i dont allow to see him anymore.
its stressing me out so bad, i dont yell, i dont hit.
time outs dont work...
what else can i do?

JT32606

Asked by JT32606 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach him by example of how to treat the dog.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• ive tried EVERYTHING!! i need new ideas........
    JT32606

Comment by JT32606 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• p.s. and how to speak to you. How did he learn to "mouth off"? Whoever taught him that, keep him away from them and tell them that's not nice and it makes you sad when he talks to you that way

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Unless the father is harming him in some way I'd reconsider allowing him to see dad.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You should give his pediatrician a call, they might offer some help.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• that is why i dont allow his father to see him anymore...
    he learns bad words and its so frustrating....
    i know he doesnt understand whats going on. but do you think him being mad is because daddy isnt around anymore?
    JT32606

Comment by JT32606 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... hit the local library, books are FREE to check out, and they have an entire section on just parenting.. I personally know because my husband teases me they'll red flag my card with all I check out! Kids do not come with instructions, they are each different, and it'll be a learning process for you both
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just keep loving him. Praise heavily anytime you catch him being nice. I know it is hard, but do your best to stay calm when telling him what is appropriate.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 1:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• thank you bugfin. i do stay calm. i dont yell, i dont spank. im not about that. if he goes in time out, i sit there with him and explain what he did wrong. i know he doesnt understand everything i say, but one day he will....
    it just upsets me. hes not like this everyday....he has his bad days like everyone else. i believe his father is where the negativity came from.....smh.....
    JT32606

Comment by JT32606 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Psychologists say that the way that parental authority works is that your kids love and respect you and your position, they don't want to upset you (break rules, mouth off, or disappoint you - so on) because they seek your love and approval. You need to give him as much love and open praise possible when he is behaving. I know it's hard to get hyper appreciative about the little things but that's probably what he needs. Give him reasons to behave, and reasons to seek your approval. I know it's hard but he might be lashing out and disrespecting you because he blames you for his absent father. You could consider seeing a therapist or taking him to counseling. I don't know it's hard. I have a blended family myself with two children from a previous marriage. Good luck!!!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 1:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011