My seven year old shows signs of ADD. She can't sit still, gets distracted easily, and while she is very good academically and with reading, she has a hard time focusing on tasks at school. She was tested for ADD a couple years ago and they found nothing. What can I do? Should I have her retested?

beshka76

Asked by beshka76 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you ever considered very mild high functioning aspergers. She sounds like my dd :) Not the end of the world by the way, has some nice perks actually! My dd is highly intelligent and can memorize all day long!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• 7 year olds have a hard time focusing - usually because they haven't learned how. It takes time and practice to learn to focus and concentrate on a task. You can help by providing one activity at a time, doing projects together while focusing only on the task at hand, creating a quiet environment and a routine for her homework time, and other things like that.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 1:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I see no sense in having her retested at this time, if she's already been tested and nothing was found. It sounds like she needs to learn how to do one task at a time and not be distracted. No sense in borrowing trouble.
    Children are at a developmental stage where they are learning to focus and not get distracted - by nature, they are easily distracted. Staying focused despite distractions is a skill that is learned.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why exactly was I voted down....geesh.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Work with her, coach her to stay on task while doing fun activities like cooking together and serious activities like homework. I totally agree, focus is a learned skill - don't short-change her by looking for a quick fix instead of teaching her a new skill. Some children may take more time to learn to do this, others may learn it more quickly - but for her to be successful in life, she'll need to learn to do what needs to be done.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Again??? gonna vote this one down too...??
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:14 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    jerk.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I have a 6 year old and a 7 year old - and yes, kids by nature are "attention deficit".  It takes time to learn to focus.  It takes practice.  It takes coaching.  It takes help.  It takes teaching.  Think of it this way - you remember what it's like to be in school, right?  Other kids moving around, sharpening pencils, talking, shuffling papers, asking the teacher for help, announcements, whatever's happening out the windows to watch, and a roomful of friends.  A kid has to learn to tune all that stuff out and do their work like they're supposed to.  ITA with the person who said "don't borrow trouble" - and you've gotten a lot of good suggestions here for ways to help her learn.

snivic

Answer by snivic at 1:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm a mom of 6. At one time or another, they've all had what could be called "signs of ADD" - like all children do. Since you've already done the testing, relax and work with her. We can't expect kids to just know how to focus, they need to learn how to do this and it's our job to teach them.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Perhaps I too am a jerk. I just voted you down for name-calling.

Your daughter sounds like a typical child. She will be just fine. You are a caring mother. You will work with her and help her and she will do well.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011