I am worried I want to know if my son have somthing serious. I dont know if it could relate to Autism.

I really dont know were to begin but im very worried my son has an appoint. untill the 13th of this month but I cant even sleep. Just yesterday I got alarmed by somthings strang that he is doing My son is 4 yrs old and he started headstart this year. He is the only one who is very behind he is also going to speech therapy cuz wen he was 1 yr old he had an epeliptic seager. an so now he takes medication for that he still shows in the EEG alot of signs of seager movements. So he cant talk well. So wat happen yesterday his teacher told me you need to study more with him and so i told her i do every day for atleast 30 mins. Wat alarmed was I was teaching him the alphabets which he should be in x,y, z. And so we were going over and over the letter a,b,c even writtting it on an easelboard everytime i would ask him what letter is this he couldnt tell me he would say whats in ur mouth or somthing else that would distract him.I said let try again and he started screaming a,b,c and then he started crying i cant. My husband came in he was afraid for him too. We told him its okay baby u'll get later. So we put him to bed n began crying cuz I told my husband the teacher also tells us that he covers his ears and says shut up shut up its to loud and no one is making noise she states. and we notice last night that he has done that with us at home too he covers his ears and says its to loud, its to loud. And we already took him to a Dr. to get his ears checked and his been fine. So his next appoint.on the 13th and it seems like an eternity. He also hits hs 2 yr old brother alot especially wen his brother dont cooperate with him he gets really fustrated.oh and also may i add that his 2yr old brother already knws the alphbets cuz we go over them with the 4 yr old alot. and so that got me scared and thinking wat could it be.

aida1212

Asked by aida1212 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I'm not an expert but it doesn't sound like autism to me. Maybe sensory integration disorder, and possible delays from his seizures and seizure medication. There are very effective treatments for sensory integration disorder, so don't worry too much.

Best of luck at your appointment.
    Anonymous

• Is the appointment on the 13th with the pediatrician? You might call the dr. office and get the number for a good pediatric therapy center that offers early intervention, that is a place where you should take him for an evaluation. Until you get a professional evaluation you really can't do a lot but sit tight. I would be concerned by these behaviors too and try to get him somewhere he can be seen sooner than the 13th. Hopefully it will not be anything too serious for you, but early intervention can really be the most helpful.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It could be autism. But, you won't know until after your appointment. My 3 year old has autism...and while it can be difficult at times he's still the same kid he was before he got diagnosed. Just remember that. He'll always be that same little boy no matter what the doctor says. Hang in there! *hugs*
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am so very sorry. It is terribly frustrating and heart breaking. We want everything to be good for our children. The 13th is less than a week away. I am glad you have him in Headstart. They probably have a psychologist, etc on staff. Be patient with him. Give him lots of love and hugs.
    Does he look you in the eye? Does he like to be held?
    I hope it is something that can be helped with early intervention.
    I will keep you in my thoughts.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds more like a sensory processing disorder or ADD

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it sounds more like sensory issues and not autism
    Anonymous

• sensory issues?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:18 PM on May. 9, 2011