How much did your medical bills come to after delivery?

Hubby and I just found out we are expecting baby #3. With my 1st pregnancy, I was in my early 20s and not married so I was still under my mom's insurance. Her insurance was awesome, all my prenatal care was covered and I ended up only having to pay $500 out of pocket. I had a c-section and was in the hospital for 5 days. With my second pregnancy, I had no insurance so I went through the state so obviously I didnt have to pay anything. Thankfully, my husband has a pretty good job and we have insurance through them. It's Blue Cross PPO so I know I will have to come out of pocket. I'm just curious as to how much this is going to cost. I will have to have another c-section because I've had 2 prior c-sections. I know nobody can tell me the exact cost but if any of you ladies can share what you paid, I'm hoping I can get a round a bout number. I'm hoping someone has a similar plan that can provide some insight. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was fortunate to have health insurance, I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wish I could help, but even if you have insurance, you can still qualify for medicaid again. Which is what I had on my last baby. So all costs were covered.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• For my 2 year old total medical costs were around 25,000...... c-sect for me nicu for her for 4 days but out of pocket it was 1,000.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We had excellent insurance with the last 2 and were taken on as a teaching case for the twin pregnancy (1st 2).
    The twins were free, but I had to allow any medical student or resident to observe the birth process. No biggie.

The second 2 children, my almost 16 year old daughter was $10 for the private room and my 13 yr old son was $15 for the private room. I don't remember what the actual cost was that insurance paid.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• With my twins, I had Blue Cross PPO also and their total hospital bills were $450,000. (That includes my entire pregnancy, 3 weeks in the NICU for them, and a life flight while I was in labor) I paid about $450 out of pocket. But that was almost 5 years ago too. My last two pregnancies I haven't had to pay anything out of pocket.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have Blue Cross PPO ( I HATE IT) - have you met your deductible? A lot depends on that. Our plan has a 300/person/yr deductible then they cover 80% of whatever they deem they want to cover. Call your insurance for break down of what covered, then call the doc for some info on what the charges are! Good luck!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• with my first i was under my dads insurance so i paid prob $500 out of pocket. but i didn't have insurance for my son when he was born right away. for my son alone it was like $5000 and we were in the hospital one night after i had him.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I also have BCBS PPO . I didn't have a c- section so my cost is proab. lower, but my cost was a little over a grand.....however, they had me pay 60 bucks every visit so that the amount would be lower after the babies birth. So, I guess maybe about 1500 total
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• $0.00

I had employer provided insurance that paid for everything.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I had great insurance when I had dd 7 yrs ago. I paid $10.50 cuz I got a phone call in my room & used a box of tissue. If I were to get pregnant now it would be a different story!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011