Fun Debate Time

Whats the views of the public on Food Stamps.
I would love to hear it.. And dont get off topic Im not talking about PA, Unemployment, Medicaid. I'm just asking about FS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• FS IS public assistence...anyway I don't see this as 'fun' see ya
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have known people who needed them & only had them for a short period during necessary times in their lives. I think it's great for people who really need it but eventually manage to better their situation. But there are always those that try to stay on the system forever with no desire to better their situation & that is when it's not OK.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If you can't feed your family after working very hard,over 40 hours a week, you don't smoke, do drugs, spend your money on BS then go for it. I will help people that are helping themselves.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I consider myself an educated person. While many take advantage, and "milk" the system, many do indeed need them. I also know that only a fraction of tax payer dollars go to programs fighting poverty. I think the fact that so many do not have access to quality education, and come from homes where kids basically run the streets has a lot to do with why so many wind up in this boat. I will never be the type of person to bash someone on public assistance, unless I have proof positive they are abusing the system. I am not so self important as to sit at my desk and try to dictate to some low income mother that she cannot buy an Oreo for her child on my tax dollar...I have better things to do. Education ladies...it is the only cure for poverty!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My BIL and SIL are abusers of FS and other assistance. As of this month,they've been getting it all for 9 YEARS.
    He works as a school bus driver. its 20 hrs a week,180 days a year. When there's no school,he's drawing unemployment.
    they have 2 kids,both in school full time
    SIL refuses to work at all
    They disgust me!
    Anonymous

• it's fun because it gets people talking. I just want to know where the supporting line and the disgust line are drawn.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My thoughts are the same with food stamps as any other form of Public Assistance. It should be very limited as our cities, states and country cannot sustain paying for this. If it is used only temporarily to help feed a family that is trying to get back on their feet during desperate times. It's the rampant abuse that needs to be stopped
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Education ladies...it is the only cure for poverty!

Actually, education is NOT the only cure for poverty.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Why not Grace? Education gives you a sense of responsibility and skills for achieving a career that will earn you enough money to provide for your family and NOT NEED FOOD STAMPS.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011