Do you think people should keep getting unemployment checks ?

My brother has been getting it for 2 1/2 years and is getting another exstinsion and he never looks for a job.

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• Welll I think people should not be sitting on their butts while collecting it I think there needs to be a way to make sure they are honestly looking for work and yep sometimes it is OKAY to accept a lower paying job....be realistic and productive with your lives!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• In his case,no way

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Nope
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Too long IMO to be on unemployment.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I know alot of ppl who get them and dont deserve it. Ugh... Nothing we can do about it anyways, so its whatever
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• "Not the ones who have been getting them for that long. Unemployment should only last 6 months."

So what should we do with those who ARE looking, who've looked for more than six months and are turned down even for McDonalds, because the managers say,"You won't stay once you find something better paying?" Shall we just shoot them?

My husband was out of work for a year and heard that rejection line MANY times.

As to the OP's brother... likely he's committing fraud. Most states require that you are looking or are being trained for a new field.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not the ones who have been getting them for that long. Unemployment should only last 6 months.

Answer by louise2 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Your supposed to show proof that you're looking for work. There are people out there that arer actively looking for work and really can't find it for a very long time but I don't think it should be made very easy for someone to sit out and not work just collect unemployment. I know there are rules you have to follow in order to keep receiving checks but I think EDD should still be checking up on people and making sure they are really doing all they can.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I am not sure if he has look for work or not but I do know he doesn't have to prove that he is looking for it I was on it years ago and I had to .
    peace013

Comment by peace013 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think after so long, say 6 months, you should have to prove you're trying to find work in order to still collect.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2011