Kindergarten

Are the kids taken outside for recess? and watched? more so then the older kids? or are they free to go out & roam everywhere? I'm not sure I worry about my kid wandering off the school grounds or something yikes! she will be in school soon.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They are watched for recess dont worry
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• At my son's school, their playground area is fenced in. All recess time is monitored by the teachers who have playground duty that day. Every school is different on this though, some school actually hire playground monitors. Once you attend Kindergarten orientation, you will find out more about this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• they are required to be surpervised. ask your teacher about how this occurs, and visit the school if you can.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• At our school they have a special playground for the Kindergartners. It's fenced off, and the equipment is made for thier size. At our school the entire playground area is fenced off, but seperated from the Kindergarten class.

You may want to call the school, or go there and take a tour to see how it's all laid out, and what a typical day is like. Our school has 3 months of Kindergarten readiness for the kids in the Summer before school starts. So they can go on tours, spend some time learning where everything is, ride the bus, meet the teachers, and the parents are there for all of it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My kindergarten is a half day and they have gym two times a week but recess outside is very rare. Teachers and aides are required to supervise children at recess at any school. Usually they do separate the little kids from the bigger kids by having different lunch hours, and recess follows or precedes lunch in most cases.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:55 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My kids school has a separate playground for K-2nd graders, and then another one for the 3rd-5th graders. The teachers all stand out there and supervise - there is also a huge space around the playground so it's pretty obvious if any of the kids start to wander away. Just tour the school and ask about it during kindergarten registration.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I know our school very well as we always go there to play I will ask more when I register in February but this school does have a side exit to a road that makes me nervous. I know it will be fine.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2011