tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• We don't use credit cards, but we don't use all cash either. We use a debit card. But - we don't use a bank, we "bank" at a credit union and I love the service. I can't see keeping all of my savings in a lock box in my house?!

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Absolutely, no debit card either. Well, I use debit for gas because with two kids its hard to do cash.
    My bills are paid online. So that is not cash. What is cash is everything I buy in stores. Groceries, clothes, haircuts ect ect. In other words, no credit cards, no checks unless it is a preplanned bill, and debit only for gas.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Ya'll (yes I'm from the south) didn't read her link. The author of the article wants to know if people can forgo banks altogether.

Our family is a credit card free family, but I'm afraid that for convenience sake we need the bank. I won't keep all of our money at home...I mean we are 'thousandaires' you know. I won't drive all over the county paying our bills when with the simple click of a button I can have the money to pay our bills deducted from our checking account. We use cash for any planned transactions, but sometimes debit card must be used.

So the answer for us is 'no'. We cannot become a cash only family that doesn't use a bank at all, it's just unreasonable for us.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes you can, we have been doing it for 2 years now. We use our debit card so it requires that you check your balance daily if you both are using the same account but we have not been making purchases that we would have made if we had a credit card. Our goal is to be debt free in 2013, car loans paid off and have our emergency fund funded!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes, but it is more inconvenient.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm sure I could, but I wouldn't want to. Cashiers checks and the cost of cashing checks can add up super fast. I don't mind spending cash for things that I pay for in person- but I prefer to use a check and automatic withdrawal for my bills.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We don't use credit for any personal expenses, only for business expenses. The credits cards are paid in full every month.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I believe you can, but for a debit card. We sort of do. We shop online a lot and we use a credit card for that because there is more protection with a credit card than a debit card. We budget for everything, so every dime that goes on the credit card in a month gets paid off when the bill comes.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't go cash only, but use a debit card a lot, checks when I have to.
    bertie4

Answer by bertie4 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I do. only its Debit only. I don't like carrying cash.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011