Is it ok to just test the waters?

Today my family and I got a chance to meet with the towns pastor and his wife. My SO found pastors wedding ring at the bottom of the river. Anyway SO was raised with the church but I was not (I do belive in a god though), Is it ok to go to church even though I'm not 100% sure I agree with all the belifes it teaches? And what do I do if I decide it isn't for me but I still want our children to learn about their daddys religion? Is it ok to attend in support of my SO and kids and enjoy the social aspects?

2littlemonkeys

Asked by 2littlemonkeys at 3:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i odnt always agree with what is taught at church, but i still occasionnally go. and my kids go, but just cause they want to. and if u find the socializing enjoyable (i dont really know the people at church so i dont) then why not? who says that u have to be 100% committed to the religion to go?
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I FEEL THAT WAY TO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think you should still go and appreciate the social aspect that it has to offer, as long as you are comfortable with it.
    ella_mom

Answer by ella_mom at 4:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you want to go to church you should but you don't have to go just for your kids, their dad can take them. I don't believe in religion but my husband does and my kids go to Sunday school but the choice is their's.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think it's great that you're willing to let your childrne learn about their father's religion and make their own decision on what to believe. I have friends that do the same thing and I don't see anything wrong with it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You sound level headed and open. That is best. Take from it in the sense of taking what you need and need to learn, but don't let others bully your openess around. Enjoy it.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You should absolutely go! I am a Christian and I believe that God works in many different ways to open our eyes. If you are feeling the slightest need to attend church that is the voice of the Lord calling you. You should attend with an open mind and no matter what you decide you should always encourage your childrens faith. If they start to feel the need to pray every night or to say grace at every meal you should encourage that so they can decide for themselves the importance of God and Christ in their own life. Chances are they will love to attend. Good luck and God Bless!
    Anonymous

• Yes it's ok to test the waters. But don't feel obligated to do so just for the kid's. do so because you want to.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2008