People with kids and a dog...

Do you keep your dog away from your kids when you''re not around? I am teaching our two year old to be nice to the dog but she is still being rough with her. yesterday the dog was resting and my daughter pushed on her belly real hard and the dog snapped at her. Ive been giving the dog some time alone bc my daughter just never stops.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pets

• did not really need to our dog became an instant babysitter the day we brought the first baby home
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have a 10 year old black lab mix and she's a wonderful dog, but I'm still not comfortable leaving my 4 year old son alone in another room with her.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My dog and dd haven't been seperated since day 1, except for the last few days because my dog is in heat. They play together all the time and my dog herds my dd lol
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have 3 large breed dogs and 2 children.

A 2 year old needs constant supervision with the dog. If the dog is left on its own and feels cornered or threatened, the dog's threshold to bite in defense is going to really be lowered. Try to make interactions positive so the dog doesn't develop a complex with the presence of the rough toddlers...most toddlers are rough. Over time as the child ages, it should get easier and better. Have this child feed the dog every day and use food treats and toys with the dog more heavily when the child is present so the dog makes good associations. Never leave them alone together and be sure the dog always has a way to escape, or an out. Give the dog a dog bed, and make boundaries with the child, that is the dog's bed and she can't touch the bed or the dog, for instance. It will help the dog out. Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would never,ever -ever,ever,ever.....ever leave a small child alone with a dog - no matter the size or temperament of the dog, no matter how much I love my dog.Never.
    ShapeofMyHeart

Answer by ShapeofMyHeart at 2:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Kids that young should never be left alone with a animal.

Answer by louise2 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well, I guess it depends on the dogs. I trust my dogs with my toddler. I have a big dog and a mid-sized dogs. Both have always been very gentle and let my son do anything to them....of course we are teaching him how to behave around dogs.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My dog has never ever given me reason to be concerned about him being a lone with the kids. He is a well behaved trains small dog. That being said. He has NEVER been alone with my kids. If I need to leave the room or check the mail he either goes to the back yard (fenced in) or goes with me. He is a good dog but he is still a dog and dogs have teeth.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i don't let my kids play alone with the basset hounds b/c they are too loving and knock the kids down on accident (4 year old and 1 year old) and i don't leave them alone with the rat terrier/ chihuahua b/c she's snappy (my dog) but i do let my dd play alone with the irish terrier, he's a spaz but loves my dd
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If I didn't trust my dog then yes I would be keeping them separated when I wasn't watching them. Personally I don't have a dog right now because I'm too afraid of this happening. But, if it were me I would have the kids start giving the dog commands as soon as they're old enough so the dog understands that even though the kids are small, they are still the boss.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011