Do you post valuable items for sale on Craigslist? Beware of "robberies by appointment" ...

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2011/01/craigslist-robberies-by-appointment-turn-violent.html

One of the comments under the article:

Jim Sanders was murdered in front of his wife and both sons after he tried to protect his eldest, who was being pistol whipped by one of his assailants for not divulging the location of their non-existent safe.

He was a co-worker of mine, and he is sorely missed by many. He was a good man.
Sheryl Bond, Pierce County, WA (Sent Jan 7, 2011 11:50:35 AM)

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I too often use craiglist but I never met at my house or anyone else's. They can meet me at a near by store parking lot. Not willing to meet me anywhere? I don't need to see to you or buy your item. That is VERY sad.
    Anonymous

• That is absolutely terrifying.

I have bought a few things on craigslist but asked the sellers to meet me in a public place because i was kind of afraid to go to a strangers house. I felt a little silly at the time but i guess i shouldn't have.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• OMG I JUST SEEN THIS HEARTBREAKING AND SCARY BECAUSE I OFTEN USE CRAIGSLIST BUT NOT ANYMORE THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• im so sorry :(
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We meet at a gas station. Not at a house.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wow, thats bad.
    Nothing really valuable. Don't own anything really valuable but you can do it safely. Crap happens sometimes but it's not a given.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• that's terrible. I use CL, but i only buy OR sell in a very public place. If they are not ok with it, then it's not worth whatever i'm buying or selling. I just explain it's for my safey, and i've never had any problems with people being understanding and agreeing. But there was a guy a few months back who was advertising baby things, and wanted the women to meet him alone in and would end the conversation if they said no or that they would bring their husbands with? He was reported and these women posted warnings about him.

And last year, someone was posting baby goods that were false (they stole pictures and tried to say they had that item for sale). they would ONLY deliver to the mom's house during the day? They said it had to do with their work schedule, and they would not arrange for a pick up. I know b/c one pic they stole was mine. I reported them.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I never use Craigs List or any Online thing like that. If I have smething to sell, it would only be to a friend or relative. OR I donate to Charity such as "Bridges" or Habitat for Humanity.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011