Is reclining on an airplane rude or justified?

I never recline my airplane seat when there is a passenger seated behind me.I find it very uncomfortable and quite rude behavior on an airplane, when there is a passenger behind you.

There is very little space between the rows to begin with and when you have a tray down, or are trying to use a lap top it makes it quite difficult when the seat ahead of you suddenly falls into your lap. Are passengers who recline their seats into your space rude and self-centered, or justified because they paid for their ticket too?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 2:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Travel

• I find it really rude. The seats are small enough as it is, and now I have to have someone in my lap practically because they want to recline? I HATE that.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 8:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• I think airline seat should be fixed so they can't recline. I find it rude and intrusive on the seating space I paid for.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:17 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I just wish some of the seats didn't recline so far that the person's head was in my lap. If I can't hold my book to read without thwapping you in the face, perhaps we BOTH might accomodate each other. I'll give up some of my lap and you sit up a little. M'kay?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I do not usually recline the seat but it doesn't bother me when the person in front of me does. I just make do.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The seats do recline...
    I really don't care either way if someone reclines their seat because I do recline mine sometimes.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think the airlines should dtop being greedy and make more room so tyou can REALLY recline the seat and not be in someone's face or visa versa
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I used to feel this way until I went to college 3,000 mile away and began flying frequently. It's not rude, a lot of people need the rest, especially when flying for 4+ hours and it's much easier to fall asleep when the seat is reclined. When I started working, I took a lot of red-eye flights where I had to work the morning I arrived and would not have survived without reclining. If you notice that the person behind you is large and needs more room, then it would be courteous of you to recline as little as possible or not at all. If passengers feel they need more room, they can book the rows that have added leg room.

And in a counter argument, not wanting the person in front of you to be comfortable is pretty self-centered. If everyone reclined, everyone would pretty much have the same amount of room.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:20 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If one was not meant to recline, the seats would not have been made that way.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• to add: When my son was 2, we had a very rude man lay back as far as he could. We tried to compromise and ask to to lift it halfway and he basically called the steward on us who told us we had to deal with it.... so we did...hehe... I let my innocent 2-yr old sit in my lap and pretended to doze off while my DS played with the nice man's head. He got the seat up then...LOL ;-) and he couldn't report us cuz I was 'asleep' and this was a little kid with no ill intent. mwah-haha...2 can play that game :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i see your point here!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2011