• In the Spotlight:

mexicans

i didnt know that i wasnt allowed to call mexicans, mexicans. do they have a special name that i need to call them? because apparently if i call them mexicans, that means im racist so please inform me of the proper name to call a mexican.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I also wanted to add: Hispanic is a linguistic quantifier. Not a national origin, not a race, not a heritage. It is simply a term used to lump together persons who speak a common language.. In this case, that language would be Spanish. An American of Mexican descent who does not speak Spanish, would not be "Hispanic", yet for some reason, that is the term used..   Hispanics can be of many origins/races (due to the differences and numbers of countries that speak Spanish)..  There are white/caucasian Hispanics, there are black Hispanics (I can't use the term African American because they would not be American, a black person in Spain would be Hispanic, but not African American)

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• If you're talking about people who may or may not be brown and speak spanish they are usually called latinos. You have no idea if they are from mexico or south america just by looking.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• "i had my first experience with breastfeeding in public the other day.it was pretty f'n wierd! im a waitress at dave & busters.. i had a table of like 6 mexicans come in. i took there drink orders, got there drinks, & was letting them look at the menu. THEY call ME over to take there food order & as i get to the table, this women has her tit out, no cover or anything, & her kid is sucking on her nipple! it was really wierd & i would have perfered not to see her nipple. & whats really funny is that my first though when i saw her was about cafemom & all the arguments ive gotten into about bfip."
    --------------------------------------------------
    just so others know...above was your post.

you were called racist b/c of the way in which you commented on your customers being mexican. your issue with bf had nothing to do with their ethnicity, but the fact that you threw it in there....well, yes, it was offensive.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not everyone of Latino decent is Mexican. I don't know there circumstance but you may have just picked the wrong country. My BFF is Puerto Rican and she HATES to be called Mexican... because she's not. Latin or Latino is a good rounded term.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Calling them Mexicans is fine as long as you know for a fact that they are MEXICANS. Unfortunately, many think that every Latino is a Mexican when they obviously they are not. Spaniards are not Italians even though they share similar characteristics and come from the same continent.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• A person from Mexico, a person who is a Mexican citizen is a "Mexican". Stating such is no more racist than stating that an American citizen is an "American".

However. When the person is in reference is not a Mexican citizen, they are not "Mexican". In that case, not really racist as much as an ignorant person making a general reference instead of actually knowing a person's national origin.  Can one consider that racist if they choose to and want to make a racist issue out of it, yep they can. That's a choice though, one can just as easily choose to interpret it for what it is, a person not really knowing a Mexican from a Guatemalan..etc. and correct the person.

I get called "Indian" all the time. I'm not Indian, I am American.. Born and raised American.. However, I  am of Indian descent..I do not choose to view those who call me "Indian" as racist, just clueless.... LOL

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My best friend was born to Mexican parents who immigrated and acheived citizenship before she was born. She was born here in the united states to Mexican-american citizens (dual citizenship). She is an american.

My ancestors immigrated from Europe, particularly Germany. If i wear a t-shirt with a german flag, then by your standards you would assume i'm a german, not an american?

andy why does it even matter their ethnicity? They are people and your were doing a job in which you were there to serve the public.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm Hispanic, that is the preferred term. But I am also from Mexico, therefore I am of Mexican descent. I guess I just don't find this something to be upset about. It's the intent that is important, not the word used. But to be PC? the word is Hispanic.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The point was that in a completely unrelated topic, you made sure to call them Mexicans. You made race an issue when it wasn't one.

I don't see how your post on breastfeeding in public had anything to do with them being Mexican. And how do you know they were from Mexico? Where they all sporting the Mexican flag?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• " A Mexican who immigrated to America would still be Mexican".

Only if they did not become a US citizen. The moment they become a citizen, they are no longer Mexican... They are American........
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011