Tying shoes?

I know DS is still young. He is 6 and get frustrated when I try to teach him so we have stopped for a while and will try again later. He has motor delays that make it a little harder though. When is an 'average' child starting to learn and master this so I can have some idea as to when to try again with him. I know basically how far behind he is so I can go form there!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:22 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• U can make a game out of it. U take one shoe and let him use the other. Put the shoes infront of u and him. Practice tying them and offer rewards for effort,like favorite food for lunch or dinner. I taught my son like that and he caught on really fast!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My typical kids learned when they were 4 and 5, my son with autism didn't learn until he was like 8. It's getting later and later for most kids because of the prevalence of pull on shoes or shoes with velcro. My second son that was 5 had some fine motor delays and it was really good practice for him to have to work with the small laces, and his (at the time) 4 year old sister just picked it up from watching him.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I started working with my DD when she was about 3 1/2. I wanted her to be able to tie her shoes before she went to preschool and she was almost 4 before she got it well enough I didn't have to check them.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I learned by five, with the rabbit ears method!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• He has the visual motor skills of a 3-4 year old so I guess we will hold off for a few months and try again. I sure isn't worth the fight. If he never learns to tie his shoes it wouldn't be the end of the world! Thanks for the the help!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011