What parenting trends or philosophies do/did you think are complete b.s. or harmful to children? adult content

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 2:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think the non-vaxing trend is potentially very dangerous. I understand that some children shouldn't receive certain vaccinations, but those instances are few and far between. The benefits of vaccines far outweigh the risks for most children. I hear so many scare tactics and false information being used to prevent people from vaccinating their children these days.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think most parenting 'tends' are not harmful per-say but they sure aren't helpful! Since every child is SO different the 'trend' may not work for a lot of children' who's parents have been brainwashed to believe it is the ONLY way to raise a happy healthy loving respectful child.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• i agree with But_Mommie
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Helicopter parenting can definitely be harmful. Kids have to learn to do things for themselves or they'll be completely unprepared for adulthood.

"My baby can read" type things are complete b.s.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The explaining your every move and decision to your kid. If i tell my son he can't have something,go somewhere,etc,I don't feel I have to explain my financials to a child. Sometimes no means no.
    I've seen moms down on bended knee explaining in great detail to their 2 year old that he can't have that toy because yadda yadda yadda.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think over protecting them is not good for them. For instance having school boards pass rules that could build a better character in the child if allowed to take place. One pet peeve of mine is allowing anyone who tries out on a sports team because if they dont then someone will get their feelings hurt. I think its wrong because in the real world there will be things you dont get automatically because they might hurt your feelings. I see things like this alot and think it is not preparing our children for the real world.

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think the danger is when a parent is so devoted to a "parenting style" that they lose their own best judgment.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

LOL Well said.
    "This is not a discussion or a vote. I said no." lol
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Most of the parenting books and magazines I read during my pregnancy....I would say about 98% of the advice didn't work for us....at DD age 5 months I put the darn in the trash and just went on my instinct! The one I remember most was this one potty training book a friend of mine had...advised them not to us candy...yada,yada...well she spent months doing what we accomplished in a weekend using * waiting for the gasps* ...that's right!! CANDY!!
    mmabond04

Answer by mmabond04 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It won't be the popular opinion but the first 2 things that come to mind is formula and CIO. Both have shown the possibility of serious harm and both have much safer options. 

The basic growing up too soon philosophy is the overall thing that bugs me. Everyone will potty train, eat, sleep, not be "clingy" etc. in their own time.  The AAP have very lenient and truthful expectations set up for these milestones.  Why ignore them and continue to compare one person's milestones with another's?  Each child is perfect in their own way & each have amazing things to share with us now and in the future.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:28 PM on Jan. 7, 2011