Do you have a "roundabout" or "traffic circle" in your city?

They are thinking about putting one in our city right as you get off the interstate. I think this is horrible idea because of the location of it. I foresee many accidents because of people not knowing what the hell a roundabout is and what to do, but also because travelers may opt to go to the next city to avoid all of the confusion. (okay, vent over). So, do you have a roundabout or traffic circle in your city? Does it work?

For those who are not familiar with what a roundabout is since they are not common inthe US, here is a picture-

Go to fullsize image Go to fullsize image

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Travel

• There is one in the city my in-laws live in! It's in the middle of Historic Covington.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:34 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have tons of them. They just put several in recently on a very busy road to reduce traffic congestion. They work well as far as I can see - no major problems. (Raleigh, NC)

Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• all over the place. For whatever reason people don't yield to the left here tho, they seem to think whatever road they are currently on takes precidence over everyone else's. Accident waiting to happen
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:37 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• there are a few around us...they seem to work well where they are but I'm not sure about right off the interstate...eek!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes. I hate it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• They've put some in around my area. There haven't been any major accidents or anything like that.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yes they put one in much to the disgust of a lot people..... It was put in a rather dangerous intersection and most people said that it would cause even more accidents...... It has been there for about a year and when asked if there were more accidents our local paper said that they couldn't find the data because it wasn't being kept track of. Which I don't think is true I just think they don't want to say yep lots more accidents.

I have seen many more close calls then I ever did before where it is. The biggest issue is you are supposed to be doing 15 and most people still try to go thru at 45.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have nothing against traffic circles. Where we use to live there were several and they helped alleviate traffic. I just think that where they put this one, will cause more problems than solutions. They are wanting to connect the Interstate off/on ramp, a road right beside the interstate that leads to a college, a road that is coming off of a mountain, and another side road. I could be wrong, but I think this is going to lead to more disaster than anything else.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have one about a 1/2 mile from me. Works quite well for us.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• there are alot in in chicago.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 4:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2011