Need to find a reason to get an ultrasound.....

I am 6-7 weeks pregnant and I go in next week to meet with the NP which she will do an internal and TRY to get the baby's heartbeat with the doppler and I know she won't because it is too early. I know this is bad but I thought that maybe I could come up with some reason to get an ultrasound to make sure the baby is okay. This is my second, my DD is 5 and i will be 34 when the baby is born. I don't know if it is just that I am older but i am freaking out about miscarriage and downs syndrome and everythinf else. I just need to know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• An internal IS an ultrasound. It's an internal ultrasound. Doing a regular, external ultrasound won't do anything because your baby is still too small to see. That's why they do an internal one..
    Anonymous

• You can ask them to give you an ultrasound to be more precise with your dates... they do this when you don't know the date of last menstrual etc., I freaked out with my second too.  Good luck.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Usually they'll do an early ultrasound to determine dates. It's most accurate in the first trimester. Are you sure she isn't going to order one. Plus I would imagine most NP's know you can't pick up the heartbeat with a doppler this early.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just tell them you can't remember when your LMP was. Or if you have a nice dr just tell them your concerns. My dr was awesome and did whatever I asked.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• im 41 and have already had 2 ultrasounds they do them as a precaution and nothing more at this age. I go back on valentines day and hopefully will find out what im having!!
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• OP here- I mean an internal as in put the speculum in like a pap smear not a vaginal ultrasound. I had an ultrasound (outside of belly) at 9 weeks last time and the baby was moving and you could see the heartbeat. I will be 8 weeks at my appt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• u need to chill. stressing can kill the baby more than your age! the baby is fine. if it weren't you would know!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• tell them youve been bleeding... i did that my last pregnancy and they got me in. they didnt make me take my pants off or anything so its not like they would know. i mean i wouldnt recommend it but it will get you in :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011