My boyfriends grandpa died early this morning.

And we have a 2 1/2 year old daughter...and she keeps asking about him and wanting to go see him...Please someone tell me how I could explain to her on what happen? it's so sad.

And would you let you're 2 year old go to the funeral or should we have a babysitter??

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you religious?

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well I would make it simple that grandpa has gone to be an angel in the sky. As to the funeral I think a baby sitter. So sorry for your loss. "HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thats so sad... even though she is 2 be honest... grandpa went to heaven so now you can talk to him inthe sky... send a balloon up.... IMO I would get a sitter that way you can be a support to your boyfriend and his family! Although she may be a happy distraction but I would get a sitter
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My gramma too just passed Wednesday. My son who is also 2, 28m, was there at her house a lot in the last couple months while the death process was going on. My parents were also living there, with my grandparents caring for her and my grandpa. I am not taking my babies to the services and things tomorrow, just because my hubby is military and not here. And they aren't able to sit through a service at church nor will they sit nicely at the lunch to follow....they are just babies and need to run. So I have a sitter for them. But my 2 year old, I told him Grammie had to go home and live with Jesus. To which he replied "Church". Because we are a church going family. At 2 they really aren't going to grasp the whole thing. But just be honest and tell him, PaPa died and has left us, we can't see him any more. And if you believe in God or something tell him he had to go live in heaven and wait for us.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:43 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Our son was 4 when his great grandpa died. We did let him go to the viewing for a few minutes to say goodbye. We explained it that Papaw Jim is resting his body and is on his way to heaven. Not sure if you believe in Heaven or not but you could change that part to your beliefs. We had a babysitter for the rest of the viewing and for the funeral. I knew that I needed to be there for my husband and not distracted by our child at that moment. I honestly think it would be best to get a babysitter, but only you know what is best for your family. I am sorry for your loss.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would just be honest. He got old and his body stopped working so he died. She might not be able to see him again but he'll always be with her in her heart.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• When my grandpa died in 2009 I told our kids his body stopped working and his spirit had to go to watch over us.

They didnt need more than that as they were young(my youngest was 1 1/2 at the time, oldest was 5 1/2).

They didnt attend the funeral or burial...we had a relative watch them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• let her go to the funeral. very important.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 9:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We brought my daughter with us when my Pappy died. When she asked, we told her that he died and has gone to the Elysian Fields. We didn't sugar-coat anything. Sugar-coating it makes it worse later.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes take her to the funeral, let her see the body and tell her that Great-Grandpa died and let her say goodbye to him. Please do not say "grandpa is sleeping" like a lot of parents do. Thankfully my parents never tried to feed my brother and I that lie and I have never told my children that lie.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011