What do you find in your backpacks from school?

I like to have a full backpack. I am quite happy when my child comes home with homework, usually it is just spelling and math. His work is way too easy for him, which I don't like. I think he could be doing more, so I do extra with him to keep him well rounded in writing and history particularly.

What is in your backpacks?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 2:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• every week... spelling list and math tests
    monthly we get a sheet that suggests a min amout to read and we then record what we have read and how many min. DS is in 2nd grade tthis month it suggests 200 min it is the first week and we are at 300 already and reading judy Blume
    projecy about once a month
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My dd is only in kindergarten so we find a book for nightly reading, and notes from the teacher. Sometimes we get work home to look over to see how she is doing. Thats about it.
    My 17 yr old has a full backpack. Its full of books, notebooks and homework. He doesnt get much homework, he does most of it at school. He has maybe 30 minutes a night.

Answer by gemgem at 2:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Not much homework and really I think thats a good thing. I think too much is put on kids now and they don't have time to just be kids.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 2:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Mostly paper airplanes that he created during after school care. He also has a folder that comes home nightly. Sometimes there is important paperwork and/or little readers in there but sometimes it is also empty as well. His school does a good job of teaching him in the day so that homework is kept to a minimum and only used for self practice or for help mastering concepts that they are having trouble with.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son is in kindergarten and he has homework every night. He has a book to read and a worksheet to do at home every day. My daughter is in second grade and she gets a packet of homework sent home on Monday and then has the whole week to work on it at her own pace.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My 7 year old (2nd grade), who loves reading and school in general, comes home with a binder (homework journal, spelling list, etc.) and as many books as the library/classroom will let her take home. My 81/2 yr old, on the other hand, has a sparse binder and always claims there was no homework assigned. I make her read and practice her spelling words anyway ;)
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• first day of school i got altter saying they were going paperless and helping to save the enviroment.......since the second day of school, i've gotten nothing but papers!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Spelling ABC order, Math(2-3 work sheets) and Science worksheet . Reading 10mins every night. That is what she has weekly. Mon-Thurs. She is in 2nd grade.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2011